1973 Mach clone with 460, CJ Toploader

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushwolf

Reaction score
My Car
73 Fastback Mach clone, 466, CJ Toploader
I abandoned this project a decade ago due to work life, kids, etc., and now retired so getting back to it. Had purchased what are supposedly CJ 429 front springs after swapping the original 351c out for the 460, but never installed them.

Now replacing both a arms and springs, and surprised that the 351c Spring (.628 diameter coil) is at least a couple inches longer than the 429CJ Spring (.658 diameter coil.)

Just wanted to make sure that I have the right springs as I don't want to take the coils back out again for being the wrong one. Don't remember where I bought them as it was so long ago.

Anyone else done this and can confirm the 351c Spring is longer than 429 Spring in uncompressed form?  

Shock towers look excellent inside fortunately.  Guess that Atlanta Falcons window sticker must mean it is a southern car, though I got it in Minnesota..

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I can confirm that. I did the same swap in my 73. I have a 460 and a top loader.

Let me know if you have any additional questions on your build.

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks. Did you by chance also replace the a-arms or upper shafts and nuts? Read somewhere that once shaft is centered that it is best to tack weld the end nuts to a-arm to prevent it from possibly loosening in service.

And that if the shaft does not have a grease groove on end(s) to make one. Took one new one apart, but it already has a grease groove parallel to shaft.

But, end bearing nuts were so tight on new upper arm out of package that I could not move the shaft at all in arm, so while making a slight adjustment to center the shaft in the arm, I just snugged up end caps so I can still turn shaft with some effort by hand, but not turn it too easily.

That sound right, before I tack the nuts to arms and grease them? Or are they supposed to be so tight you can't pivot shaft in arm by hand as it was shipped?

Watched a You Tube video where they installed an upper arm in an earlier Mustang and they could pivot the shaft by hand, so figured my new one was probably too tight as shipped...

Thanks, Mike

ClevelandCoupe,

Can you tell me how tall your frame side engine mounts are and how much oil pan to crossmember clearance you have? I know I got some original and aftermarket 429 parts back a decade ago when I put the 460 in, but don't recall exactly which parts. 

Measured sway bar and that appears to now be 429 car diameter and the smaller diameter stock one appears to be hanging on the wall.

But, can't remember what I did for frame side of engine mounts and wondering if I may have installed engine mounts on the 429 style frame side piece.

Almost got the new front suspension parts and brakes back together, so figured I should double check this too, before trying to get Ram Air components lined up with my taller than stock intake (using partially aftermarket parts to squeeze it in there, so it will differ from stock setup..). Tight fit though.

Frame side mounts look taller than they would necessarily have to be and oil pan clearance is greater than I was expecting.  Clutch linkage hooked up ok, but that probably has enough vertical movement so it would still hook up even if engine was higher or lower than it should be..

However, looked at 351c mounts still on the motor I pulled out and frame side stands are also there, which would seem to confirm that I put 429 frame side mounts in. Otherwise, why would I have removed them from chassis and hung them I the Cleveland..

And the frame side mounts hanging on the Cleveland look shorter than those now in the car, which seems counter-intuitive to what you would expect to be accompanying the taller 385 series motor. But top half of mount height may more than compensate by being shorter than the Cleveland upper mount.

Is there any distinguishing characteristic of 429 frame portion that would confirm whether that is what in there, aside from measuring them?

Thanks, Mike

Brushwolf,

I will get you measurements later today or tomorrow. I do recall that the motor did set higher in the factory mounts like you are describing.I believe Ford did this to have add'l exhaust clearance around the clutch linkage and p/s box......

Thanks, Jay

Back