351C Tear Down - Crank and Cam removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks David.

I'm not keeping anything except the crank and maybe the cam.

I'm currently tracking down the best shop in down and have couple to check out.

Tim

Grinding the diameter of the journals down is not a problem with Ford engines. In fact the smaller dia. reduces the surface speed of the bearing. Ford used very large diameter journals and there is no reason to worry about grinding .020 or if you can find them .030" from mains or rods.

It looks like there was lots of crap in your engine that ate the crank and bearings up. You want to have the entire engine, block, heads, crank and rods magna fluxed to check for any cracks. If no cracks then go to the machining. Go with new ARP bolts for sure.

A good engine shop should check the rods for twist and size and correct as needed. I would go the extra step of dynamic balance also. Everything from the harmonic balancer to the drive shaft should be balanced.

I do not like some of the kits they sell. They weld up a stock crank and grind back to nominal diameter which only induces stress and possible failure points into the engine. They do what is called spray welding and that sucks in my opinion. We tried it on tooling and it was very sorry and did not perform as they said.

If your block is numbers matching you want to try to keep it for sure.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks I'm hoping the crank can be saved. I load up a pic of the cam but not sure I'm keeping that.

.10 undersized is fine, .20 undersized if you are keeping the engine mostly stock but if you are going crazy with power you may want to replace it if the machining gets to .20.

Just a quick search at the online site for autozone shows they sell a crank kit for $260 after core exchange. If you have a access to a machinist who has pride in their work, you might go that route as you might get better and consistant clearances. Plus you will know what you have as you have no voice in what you get in a kit.

If money isn't as big a consideration and you are going to build a monster, you could get a new aftermarket crank.

Back