351W Sleeve install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard0431

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
My retirement project. All upgraded components have been sourced from junkyards.
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 351w block and crank for $75. figure i'd take a gamble knowing that i would have to bore it out ect. there is pitting on some of the cylinder walls and some gashes that i'm pretty sure won't bore out at .040. I'm weary of going .050 even though i know it can be done.

the casting numbers are as follows:

block: 351wf2 C9oe-6015-2b (1969 Failane/Torino)

Crank: 3m

This is one of the strong nickel content blocks that Mustang Steve uses on his 400hp builds per his site. Is it worth installing sleeves or should i continue my search for another block?

I sleeved one cylinder on a Toyota block years back because of broken ring damage. Never had any issues with it. But, I believe that the cost was close to one hundred dollars for one cylinder. It would seem expensive to do the whole block. Do you know your local shop rates for the work you need?

Hi all,

I recently picked up a 351w block and crank for $75. figure i'd take a gamble knowing that i would have to bore it out ect. there is pitting on some of the cylinder walls and some gashes that i'm pretty sure won't bore out at .040. I'm weary of going .050 even though i know it can be done.

the casting numbers are as follows:

block: 351wf2 C9oe-6015-2b (1969 Failane/Torino)

Crank: 3m

This is one of the strong nickel content blocks that Mustang Steve uses on his 400hp builds per his site. Is it worth installing sleeves or should i continue my search for another block?
Have the block sonic checked for wall thickness to determine suitability for further over bore.

If it can't be bored there is nothing wrong with a properly installed sleeve, however if you are talking about sleeving all eight then you will probably find it cheaper to find another block. If it were a numbers matching/rare engine it might be worth saving but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

400 hp is not much for a 351w block, no matter the year. No sense in relegating yourself to a short decked 69 block. I wouldn't hesitate in finding another.

Back