• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4R70W ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eddie, I don't have one (to get rid of) but was wondering why you are going with the 4R70W instead of the upgraded 4R75W?

My 2003 Mercury Marauder came with the 4R70W and I can attest to the "problems" the transmission has with shifting too soon sometimes at lower speeds. As I understand it, that was one of the reasons Mercury went to the upgraded 4R75W transmissions in the 2004 Marauder.

Just wondering.

BT

what about using the late model (post 1990) AOD housing with 4R70W internals? that's what I'm doing for our '73 'Vert with 351C. still a mechanical transmission with the wide ratio gearset. You also get the benefits of a lower first gear on the late model vs. early model transmissions.

Eddie, I don't have one (to get rid of) but was wondering why you are going with the 4R70W instead of the upgraded 4R75W?

My 2003 Mercury Marauder came with the 4R70W and I can attest to the "problems" the transmission has with shifting too soon sometimes at lower speeds. As I understand it, that was one of the reasons Mercury went to the upgraded 4R75W transmissions in the 2004 Marauder.

Just wondering.

BT
4.6 bellhousings are different, v-6 and 5.0 engines use the same small block pattern as cleveland.

4.6 bell housings are different, v-6 and 5.0 engines use the same small block pattern as cleveland.
Yea that is what I am looking for the V6 trans. I want to do as you did with the toggle switches to control the lock up. I am going to try and follow your set up. Are you still having good luck with your setup? Saw a post where you said you had to do a rebuild. Any issues that I might need to be prepared for?

Yea that is what I am looking for the V6 trans. I want to do as you did with the toggle switches to control the lock up. I am going to try and follow your set up. Are you still having good luck with your setup? Saw a post where you said you had to do a rebuild. Any issues that I might need to be prepared for?
Sorry I have been out of town.

The only reason I did a rebuild is because I tried to get by using the junkyard tranny as is with the race converter and valvebody.

Even though it looked clean it was worn enough to not shift properly at the track and tore up the new converter.

Just rebuild/upgrade whatever you get. If you go with the race version of the Silverfox valve body, the first to second gear shift is extremely harsh. It will chirp second almost everywhere including when you don't want to. And if racing with street tires will lose some traction on the shift.

Seems to race good with Drag Radials since there is more traction available.

Aside from those minor things, it's been over a year and no problems. About 2500 street miles and dozens of hard races.

Good Luck with the project

Back