71 429 CJ Auto, Air in Atlanta $7,500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys, North Carolina Dave called me this morning and let me know about the forum. Its my car and if you guys want any more info or pictures I'll be happy to forward them. And to all you naysayers, why don't you come look at it instead of just bashing my add... the cars been in a barn since the late 80ies I know it needs to be restored but way better then starting with a rusty car. In my mind, even with out the original motor trans, I can out build a factory 429cj with a 460 any day and most people wouldn't even know the difference. $7500 is pretty fair price... If you want it for $2000 keep dreaming!

Thanks guys, looking forward to browsing the forum some more!

It's a "C" code.
I was a nay sayer... kind of. First off, I love the BB cars, some here understand my passion in this regard. I have been through a car similar to yours when I bought my first J Code back in'92 for $6500. It also was missing the original engine and tranny. I spent the next 18 years trying to bring it back to factory, but at the end of the day I could never say it was so. To me, this was important.

My point is that a rare car such as yours will in fact be thoroughly dissected should someone choose to buy it, spend 10's of 1000's of $$$ restoring it and the time comes to sell it. The people that will be interested in it will be the true J or C code enthusiasts.

I recall a recent comment by another member on this board; in this respect, I am also a realist when it comes to rare cars such as this, irregardless if I paid your asking price or the suggested $2K. The costs associated with restoring the car would be extreme when considering it's current condition, missing pieces and the costs to restore these cars today. Ask me how I know...

It's not the asking price that would scare me, it's how the car would be viewed by the Mustang community who know how this car came originally from the factory. Therein lies the true value of the car. So, $6500 or $2000 is really not the issue to true collectors of these cars. I am not sure that a non BB collector is willing to pay the asking price just because it has the "C" as the fifth digit in the VIN...

Good luck with your sale.

Hey Guys, North Carolina Dave called me this morning and let me know about the forum. Its my car and if you guys want any more info or pictures I'll be happy to forward them. And to all you naysayers, why don't you come look at it instead of just bashing my add... the cars been in a barn since the late 80ies I know it needs to be restored but way better then starting with a rusty car. In my mind, even with out the original motor trans, I can out build a factory 429cj with a 460 any day and most people wouldn't even know the difference. $7500 is pretty fair price... If you want it for $2000 keep dreaming!

It's a "C" code.
Bernie: Whats the car's original factory color or color code on door data plate?

A collector might see a bargain... a hobbyist sees 'over-priced.'
David: go for it or continue taking your meds.
I am doing much better on not buying, lol. I let a M code Mach 1 matching numbers, no rust, no body damage go yesterday. I could have got it for $2,500. A N.C. car all it's life. It was worth way more than that. I just say NO, lol.

I have never been a fan of BB cars. If one was a steal I would go for it. I have a PI 429 sitting in the barn with a cast iron tail shaft C-6 beside it had for 35 years or more. Also a steel crank, yes Ford made them for the SD 429 truck motors. Never had the urge to even build it. I have been told by guys that build them that the PI heads are the way to go for better bottom end. The SCJ heads are way too big on valves. I see the engines around the Charlotte area quite often on cl if anyone is looking. There were quite a few at the Charlotte swap meet last spring when there also. They are much easier to find than a Boss engine is.

Ford offers some great crate engines, everything from Boss 302 to 468 Boss. They have new SCJ heads. Many of their crate engines have a two year 24,000 mile warranty some with 500 hp and the warranty. Don't understand why more on the forum don't go with them instead of struggling trying to get their old engine together.

I am doing much better on not buying, lol. I let a M code Mach 1 matching numbers, no rust, no body damage go yesterday. I could have got it for $2,500. A N.C. car all it's life. It was worth way more than that. I just say NO, lol.

I have never been a fan of BB cars. If one was a steal I would go for it. I have a PI 429 sitting in the barn with a cast iron tail shaft C-6 beside it had for 35 years or more. Also a steel crank, yes Ford made them for the SD 429 truck motors. Never had the urge to even build it. I have been told by guys that build them that the PI heads are the way to go for better bottom end. The SCJ heads are way too big on valves. I see the engines around the Charlotte area quite often on cl if anyone is looking. There were quite a few at the Charlotte swap meet last spring when there also. They are much easier to find than a Boss engine is.

Ford offers some great crate engines, everything from Boss 302 to 468 Boss. They have new SCJ heads. Many of their crate engines have a two year 24,000 mile warranty some with 500 hp and the warranty. Don't understand why more on the forum don't go with them instead of struggling trying to get their old engine together.
I wanna know where the $2,500 M code is and who's selling....VBG.. :)

BDK

Well yes, you will see more 429cj stuff at swap meets because they were installed across the line in various models = more produced. However, a lot of the CJ stuff may not be the specific '71 required component(s) ie. the 4 bolt main block for those looking to restore an original "C" or "J" Code mustang. The car in this thread is one of the rare "C" Code cars and as I referred to earlier, finding the right parts to restore the car is going to be expensive.

Listening to what guys tell you is the kiss of death... the BB engine is an awesome motor in its own right. The fact that they were only installed in 1800+ Mustangs for a one year only run makes this car and engine combination special for the '71-3 model year. It is the last of the BB engines to be installed in a factory Mustang. With a little tweaking they will put a scare in a Boss 351 and even in stock configuration held their own as well. Cubic inches speak for itself. I agree that if you are building a non original car, the Ford crate engine is a strong contender.

The 429cj/scj factory Mustangs have never recieved the credit they deserve. Because the Boss 351 was the advertised factory performance version, the sleepy Big Block quietly sat in the back ground waiting to have the key turned and release its growl through those large valved heads... nothing beats the sound of a factory BB from back in the day.

Last edited:
The seat of my pants agrees with you... '71 429 "J" code 4 speed driver here. ;) Although I enjoy seeing any of the engine / trans combinations in these cars, even the 250 straight 6. I have no skin in the game regarding the car being offered for sale, and I can see both sides of the discussion. However, I have to say that due to the rare VIN and if a Marti report supports the rest of the car, this rolling shell is definitely worth more based on the fully-restored value. That will be the case for possibly a few more decades until the target audience for these cars dies off. And if a '71 big block Mustang is featured in a popular movie or video game 20 years from now, who knows we might see an additional decade of higher values. heh Yes you will see a beat up shell of a classic Shelby sell for astronomical values because the fully-restored price can be $100K+. Maybe it's not "right" but it's the way things are with these types of cars. It would definitely be more cost-effective for someone interested in building the car as they like to purchase a F or H code Mustang without drivetrain.

Wow. The seller must be smokin' some really good stuff.

The only things that make the car a 429 CJ or SCJ Mach 1, are the VIN and the engine... and since there's no engine, you're buying a VIN along with a collection of stuff that will most likely need to be around 80% replaced.

Then there's the statement: "very clean and straight rust free body," HA!! Apparently, that guy has absolutely no idea what those words mean.

I mean, seriously - mine was at least complete and looked a whole lot better in the Craigslist pictures I saw than this one does... and we all know how that turned out. :whistling:

Not worth a penny over $2K, IMHO.
If you're lookin' to buy a VIN...I have a 73 Cobra Jet, Q-Code, VIN plate on the original dash panel with pad. (all in good condition) $300 + shipping. PM me.

BDK
I posted a link to it on the Forum in a thread about vinyl roof production numbers last week. It was in Durham N.C.. I was an M code with white knitted vinyl interior, C-6, Ivy Green 3:0 std. rear, DSO 22 for Charlotte. He was asking $4,000 but had to sell by Wed. this week. I contacted him and he said he would take $2,500. That was on Sunday. I did not go and I texted him on Monday and another buyer took it that afternoon for $2,500.

The reason I put the link in the vinyl roof thread was that he said in his ad that it was one of 150 71 sportsroofs and mach 1's combined. When I asked where he got the info it was from the forum and I looked up the thread.

So it was on the forum for several days before it sold.

BDK
I posted a link to it on the Forum in a thread about vinyl roof production numbers last week. It was in Durham N.C.. I was an M code with white knitted vinyl interior, C-6, Ivy Green 3:0 std. rear, DSO 22 for Charlotte. He was asking $4,000 but had to sell by Wed. this week. I contacted him and he said he would take $2,500. That was on Sunday. I did not go and I texted him on Monday and another buyer took it that afternoon for $2,500.

The reason I put the link in the vinyl roof thread was that he said in his ad that it was one of 150 71 sportsroofs and mach 1's combined. When I asked where he got the info it was from the forum and I looked up the thread.

So it was on the forum for several days before it sold.
Dang, I missed that didn't get to see it

You could have picked that up... I might have traded you a 73 convertible for it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I have 12 mustangs so I have to cut back. That would have been a great color combo with the dark green met. silver stripes and white interior. I had to just force myself not to buy it. This happens about once a week. I contact some of the sellers on ebay about cars that sell over and over to joke bidders. Was going to buy another 20th. ann mustang with low miles, 40,000 for really low price if the bidder was a joker again but he bought it for 2,700. I had a deal with the seller for 2,500 if he had not made the payment. That was the third time it had sold.

If you walk up to a lot of the sellers at this time of year with cash the price just seems to go way down.

It's a "C" code.
Bernie: Whats the car's original factory color or color code on door data plate?
The Atlanta car was blue metallic with blue Mach 1 sports interior fold down.

Has nobody bought this yet? This is killing me! I need another project like I need another nose to pick. But I have wanted one of these for a number of years but always just out of reach. Not hard to find a block or trans. I have a fresh set of DOOE-R heads on the shelf and other parts that would fit nicely on this. I will give Bernie a call and make a deal!

20160506_150228.jpg

20160506_150215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back