• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71 to 73 craigslist Mach 1's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to think of it, was the Mach 1 grille and urethane bumper deletable option?

-Kurt
Nope. As far as rarity of the base 302 with standard hood Mach 1. I've only seen 1 in person and it belongs to my late friend's wife now about 15 miles from here. It's just sitting in her garage. She doesn't know what to do with it but won't sell it. My buddy was just about to restore it after 40 years of ownership but cancer took him out last year. It's a white Mach 1 with standard ginger interior, auto trans, no stripes, and flat hood. It's a good looking car.

I'm still not understanding the whole mach 1's are better attitude when there is no difference maybe in 1970 mach 1 meant something but the 71-73's are nothing other than a sportsroof with a mach 1 badge that produced more sells, hence making the sportsroof rarer and cooler in my opinion

I'm still not understanding the whole mach 1's are better attitude when there is no difference maybe in 1970 mach 1 meant something but the 71-73's are nothing other than a sportsroof with a mach 1 badge that produced more sells, hence making the sportsroof rarer and cooler in my opinion
I don't know, maybe since Mach 1's were a factory "upgrade" (not necessarily in performance) there is a mystique about them. Lots of people these days think Mach 1 means performance and they don't know that most of the performance came from upgrades that weren't only available to the Mach 1 trim.

What makes a 70 Mach 1 special? You could get them with a 351 2v? Mach 1 was an image package then many were combined with performance options. You could get 428 CJ in any body style in 70. Just like you could opt for the 429 in any car in 71.

It's the look and the incorrect perception that all Mach 1's are supposed to have some performance advantage over the base editions that gives them this perceived edge. Mind you, the word "Mach" is a term that refers to object speed; particularly when referencing the speed of sound.

In short, the aura of the Mach 1 is a fantastic triumph of marketing; an options package that could be ordered as bland as possible with a name that even a child associates with immense speed and power.

The result?

Mach 1 = instant neat-o.

Everybody wants to be neat-o.

Everybody wants a Mach 1.

Everybody buys a Mach 1.

Mach 1 sales go up.

Ford makes money.

Ford is happy.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
hence making the sportsroof rarer and cooler in my opinion :huh:

Probably just biased cause I own a sportsroof, but it is kinda funny how most people just assume if u have a 71-73 mustang its a mach1, I always correct them and say nope mines rarer its a 1 of 51 sportsroof

I wound up with a Mach, but mainly as I'm partial to the green/argent combination, with or without the stripes.

Mine has the hockey stick stripes, but I'm curiously partial to the stripeless Mach 1's - very clean looking, and not as side-heavy in appearance as a single-color Sportsroof (though a Sportsroof with a single color and rocker panels always looks fantastic).

-Kurt

It's the look and the incorrect perception that all Mach 1's are supposed to have some performance advantage over the base editions that gives them this perceived edge. Mind you, the word "Mach" is a term that refers to object speed; particularly when referencing the speed of sound.

In short, the aura of the Mach 1 is a fantastic triumph of marketing; an options package that could be ordered as bland as possible with a name that even a child associates with immense speed and power.

The result?

Mach 1 = instant neat-o.

Everybody wants to be neat-o.

Everybody wants a Mach 1.

Everybody buys a Mach 1.

Mach 1 sales go up.

Ford makes money.

Ford is happy.

-Kurt
Ron/Kurt: That's not entirely accurate. The '71 Mach 1 had a few differences in standard features over a sportsroof and the other body styles. Yes, it mostly was marketing hype but there is also a bit of substance.

Standard features on a Mach 1 that were options on the other cars:

* 302 2V engine.

* NASA hood (except for the 302s Mach 1s that came with the flat hood - not many).

* Color keyed sports mirrors with LH remote control.

* Competition suspension which included extra heavy duty front and rear springs, extra heavy duty front and rear shocks and a rear stabilizer bar. Note, this is not referring to staggered shocks - that was not an option but came on 351C 4V or larger engine equipped cars (mostly...there are a few larger engine cars that didn't get staggered shocks).

* Lower body side black or argent paint with bright trim moulding.

* Unique grill with sport lamps.

* Color keyed front bumper, hood and fender mouldings.

* Trim rings/ dog dish hub caps.

* E70 x 14 wide oval white sidewall tires.

As Don has pointed out, the KEY difference as it relates to comparisons between the Mach 1, Grande, Boss, Spring Specials, etc., and other Mustangs are the number of sometimes substantive STANDARD features that are incorporated into the particular Mustang.

It is true that a well optioned (for lack of a better word) "standard" Mustang could (and often was) be ordered to include those features but it is that "STANDARD thing that makes the difference in some people minds as they pursue the hobby.

In the end, it comes down to what you (the Mustang enthusiast) wants from your Mustang. This is a BIG hobby with plenty of room for those who want "original nuts and bolts" (down to placement of stripes, etc.) to those who want a "customized" Mustang. There is room and should be respect for all.

BT

Wow, who would have thought that a base Mach 1 would be so rare?
I've seen 302 Mach 1's on the internet before - but I never knew they existed with the base hood until you pointed that out.

Goes to prove that if you give folks a few bells and whistles for free...they'll take 'em.

-Kurt
Just goes to show there really is no difference in the mach and the sportsroof other than they made less sportsroofs atleast in 71
Ron, there actually were less Sportsroofs built than Mach 1 for all three years (1971, 1972 and 1973).:)

BT

Here's a '71 Mach I for sale in Central Virginia

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3583403818.html
We all love what we have but since I lean in the fast loud and low category my choice has been the performance cars so goes the performance car boom going on right now,just because a car is rare say a six banger stripped down something or other doesnt mean it is highly sought after. Rarity in performance car numbers and options are always top of the wish list for most. Real Mach 1s are always top billing.

Thia car has been for Sale for a loooooonngggg time,He was asking $4,500 at the time I asked about the car about 8 months ago and he was firm at the price.

Probably just biased cause I own a sportsroof, but it is kinda funny how most people just assume if u have a 71-73 mustang its a mach1, I always correct them and say nope mines rarer its a 1 of 51 sportsroof
The confusion probably comes from the hood.

If that were so, the two Gone in 60 Seconds '71s would not have been mistaken for Machs by everyone who's ever seen the movie.

-Kurt

And / or the " grabber yellow " Mach 1 style stripes

Back