72 Mustang rear shock mount busted?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla80

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe Grande 302 FMX
What would be the correct way to fix this. I just got the car and saw this. Would welding in a patch and then re drilling the hole be the most efficient way to fix this shock mount ? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    473.6 KB
That's what I did back in the day on my 73 Mach 1, I had air shocks on it and they both ripped the upper mounts. I welded two metal patches one over each of the mounting areas and drilled new holes and it held up well for the four years before I sold the car.

yeah I am going to make a patch for the bottom then the top and weld them both in to strengthen it up. I am also gonna check the other side to see if there are any cracks and if there are then patch that one awhile as well. Thanks again for the help.

What would be the correct way to fix this. I just got the car and saw this. Would welding in a patch and then re drilling the hole be the most efficient way to fix this shock mount ? Thanks in advance.
My rear upper shock mounts were also the victim of the previous owner's air shocks. I had 12ga (1/8" thick) plates that covered the entire top of the recess (bottom of the shock mount) welded in by a fab shop. This might be overkill, but they have held up well for over 20 years. I also recommend drilling the hole after fabricating the patch and before welding. You might consider then using a bolt to hold the patch while welding.

Back