73 clutch and trans change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
so i have a 73 mach 1 and i put a 1985 T5 in it. BUT i cant figure out how to get the clutch to connect to it. the transmission is currently not in the car. ive seen modern driveline has a cable swap that can be done, but i have also seen an adapter plate you can get.

are these the only options?

how hard are these two things to install?

are there are benefits or downsides to using either of these two options?

thanks for the help so far guys!

was just at woodward dream cruise this year so im real excited to see my car up and runnin. i can hopefully have my mustang in it next year!

There are multiple ways to do the clutch linkage. Cable is an option along with hydraulic and mechanical linkage. Personally I don't like the look of the cable running through the engine compartment. Hydraulic can work well but you need to match the slave and master, and be sure there is enough travel without over traveling the slave. Mechanical linkage also has it's pitfalls since the bell housing is set up for a cable and pulling the release lever. Is your car originally a manual trans car? I fabbed my mechanical linkage which also included a new release laver and pivot. It also required a new hole in the bell housing for the release.

I did the modern driveline kit on my '68. But I used the TKO-600. It was rather easy to install. Especially the cable setup..

the car originally is a manual and has the manual clutch linkage. but from what i understand, the headers wont clear the linkage and i need the change something so that it will connect to the T5. so i think my options would be to go with a cable or do hydraulic.

how difficult was it to get the cable clutch linkage installed? does the kit include instructions or how did you guys figure out how to put it on? is there a lot of modifications you had to do or anything like that or is it pretty much just a bolt on assembly?

Back