73 Mach 1 Strut Rod Nut

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73QCodeMach1F

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code 351CJ, 4 speed manual, bright red.
2004 Mustang GT Convertible (Mach 1 Tribute)
***EDITED***

Turns out it was just an excess buildup of paint not letting the 1" get on it before. I’d delete the thread if I could figure out how so I guess just disregard the post.

A true head scratcher here.. my 73 Mach 1 is in need of new strut rod bushings. Problem being, the outer nut or lock nut (as they refer to the replacement part) currently on my car is coming out to be a 1-1/32" socket size. The only thing I can find that fits this is a double sided plumbers socket. Can’t find a standard socket anywhere that matches this size. I should be able to get it off with the plumbers socket, thankfully the replacement is 1" socket size from the supplier I’m looking at purchasing the parts from. My question is, what was the factory (socket) size lock nut for the strut rods? I find it extremely hard to believe that Ford would use a nut that requires a socket that does not exist anywhere as far as I can find. If it truly is a factory size… my sentiments about engineers grows ever darker.

Last edited:
I think they should be 1 1/8”. At least that’s what West Coast Cougar’s web site says.
The 1-1/8" is the inner nut, the outer one is the lock nut which they also show having at WCC but they don’t give an outer dimension. Another website called auto krafters shows both together in one kit and lists it at 1" for the locking nut. I’m just wondering if these replacements are the factory size and some previous owner shoved the wrong size nut on mine for whatever reason, or was it truly oddball size 1-1/32" size from factory.

You might try a 25mm or 27mm. 1" equals 25.4mm. 3mm equals 1/8".

Were you able to get the strut rod nuts off and get the correct ones?
Haven’t attempted it yet, but it should be no problem when I do get around to it. Currently have half the interior apart doing an overhaul of the radio/speakers.

Back