73 side stripes hockey stick style?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 351 4V 4-speed convert
I've seen pics of 73 convertibles and coupes with the wider 73 mach1 side stripes, one or two with a slightly narrower "73 mach1 style" stripe but mostly 73 converts seem to have the "hockey stick" stripes like 71-72 mach1s.

I've always been under the impression that 73 convertibles (and coupes) came with the hockey stick stripes from the factory if ordered with side stripes. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance.

73 MUSTANG convertible thb.jpg

I've seen pics of 73 convertibles and coupes with the wider 73 mach1 side stripes, one or two with a slightly narrower "73 mach1 style" stripe but mostly 73 converts seem to have the "hockey stick" stripes like 71-72 mach1s.

I've always been under the impression that 73 convertibles (and coupes) came with the hockey stick stripes from the factory if ordered with side stripes. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance.
This article may answer your stripe questions

http://www.cartechbooks.com/cartech/contentfiles/262.pdf

That's a great article. I know the Mach 1 stripe changed, but nice to see the hockey puck was still the non Mach option. I like it better and when I repaint I want to go that route. The odd thing was the pics showed the magnum 500 rims, but I thought they scrubbed those for the 5 slot aluminum rims for 1973.

My car came with both the hockey stick stripes and Magnums....sad thing is they are the 14" Magnums.

The only thing I don't like it the rub guard ....It's going to get lost when the car finally gets repainted.

Ken

73 and B25 [640x480].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great article. I know the Mach 1 stripe changed, but nice to see the hockey puck was still the non Mach option. I like it better and when I repaint I want to go that route. The odd thing was the pics showed the magnum 500 rims, but I thought they scrubbed those for the 5 slot aluminum rims for 1973.
The hockey stick stripes were only on the coupes and verts in 73.Mach 1 stripe only on the Mach 1.Magnums were not available from the factory on the 73 Mustang.The aluminum slot replaced the magnums.The magnums were still available on the Torinos and Montegos in 1973.

Mustang 5.jpg

My car came with both the hockey stick stripes and Magnums....sad thing is they are the 14" Magnums.

The only thing I don't like it the rub guard ....It's going to get lost when the car finally gets repainted.

Ken
Whitesoc, I will be installing a rear spoiler on my 71 vert this weekend. Do you have any tips or pointers? Did you do anything to help keep the trunk opened with the extra weight?

Wish I could offer you a few suggestions for the spoiler...but I bought the car with it already on there.

As for dealing with the extra weight....so far my trunk springs have worked well...but I have a cut off hockey stick that I use if I have to fish around in the trunk for any length of time. I figure it's not the prettiest but it keeps the lid from coming down on top of me.

Ken

Ken
Whitesoc, I will be installing a rear spoiler on my 71 vert this weekend. Do you have any tips or pointers? Did you do anything to help keep the trunk opened with the extra weight?

Ken
I had a 73 Vert that the PO installed the spoiler on.I never had any issues with the deck lid falling.The Mach 1 is a differant story.I use a small stick of PVC capped off and painted semi gloss black to hold it up during car shows.Peaple don't even notoce it.

PC250024.JPG

Back