9" third member ID

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/pts/5505478337.html

This third member is for sale, somewhat locally. Advertised as POSI and 3.5 gears. Can anyone tell me by looking at the pics what type of POSI unit it is? I have been looking for a 3.5 posi unit for a while at a decent price and finally see one. Any help would be appreciated. I sent a message to the seller asking if they knew also if they know what it come out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a great deal, do you know anyone you can take with you that has knowledge of these third members? I went this route because I wasn't sure what to look for, but for that price I would've have rolled the dice.

So I asked him who did the rebuild. He was running it in a Nova. He admitted he was a Chevy guy and didn't know much about anything ford. He gave me the name of the shop that did the build and set up. It was done at the ford dealer. He has the invoice.

So I asked him who did the rebuild. He was running it in a Nova. He admitted he was a Chevy guy and didn't know much about anything ford. He gave me the name of the shop that did the build and set up. It was done at the ford dealer. He has the invoice.
That is a plus, the guys I talked to claimed to have no knowledge of who built it and when it was done.

I have a buddy that does know these but he lives close to 2 hours south of here and the unit is a little over an hour north of here. Not sure he would be up for blowing 6 hours round trip.

That is an Equa Loc not Traction Loc.

Traction Loc's are better and more popular.

You lost me at Equa! What is that?
The difference inside is that the Equal loc has 2 or 3 clutches and the pressure is generated by a belleville type spring which looks similar to a conical washer. The traction loc has 4 clutches and the pressure is generated by 4 conventional springs. When the clutches wear in the equal loc unit,the pressure applied by the belleville spring becomes less thereby reducing their holding capacity which can cause them to slip.

The gears in a Traction loc increase the clamping force on the clutches under load which increases their resistance to slipping.

You lost me at Equa! What is that?
The difference inside is that the Equal loc has 2 or 3 clutches and the pressure is generated by a belleville type spring which looks similar to a conical washer. The traction loc has 4 clutches and the pressure is generated by 4 conventional springs. When the clutches wear in the equal loc unit,the pressure applied by the belleville spring becomes less thereby reducing their holding capacity which can cause them to slip.

The gears in a Traction loc increase the clamping force on the clutches under load which increases their resistance to slipping.

Thanks, didn't know that an Equa Loc existed. No telling what someone would have sold me. I guess I need to stay off Craigslist.

73pony, since barnett468 has identified that as a Equa Loc, I would look at one of the companies links that has been posted. Unless your going to do some Bob Glidden all out assault drag racing, the Traction Lok should work great. I had the traction Lok in several of my vehicles and never had a problem. Another benefit from buying from one of these venders is having some sort of customer service if you do have a problem. Here is another link to a company that has been suggested on this site before. http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html

Good luck with which ever direction you decide to take. :)

ok, I looked at the unit you posted with a bigger screen and it looks more like a traction loc but i stil can't tell .

smooth case on trac loc

bn3.jpg

rough case on equa loc

eloc9a.jpg

ok, I looked at the unit you posted with a bigger screen and it looks more like a traction loc but i stil can't tell .

smooth case on trac loc

bn3.jpg

rough case on equa loc

eloc9a.jpg
Thanks for the info. I didn't know what to look for. I appreciate it. Since it isn't far and now I know what to look for I might swing up and take a peak.

73pony, since barnett468 has identified that as a Equa Loc, I would look at one of the companies links that has been posted. Unless your going to do some Bob Glidden all out assault drag racing, the Traction Lok should work great. I had the traction Lok in several of my vehicles and never had a problem. Another benefit from buying from one of these venders is having some sort of customer service if you do have a problem. Here is another link to a company that has been suggested on this site before. http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html

Good luck with which ever direction you decide to take. :)
Yes I had looked at these. I have heard good things about them. Might end up being the route I go. I would just need to figure out how to explain the $850 charge on the cc to my wife.

OK, SO I got some additional information from the guy selling this third member. It is indeed a trac lock unit #4206. He sent me a copy of the invoice from the ford dealer that did the rebuild and set up on it. Invoice states new 3.5 Ring and Pinion (Motive) gears and new clutches, springs, and bearings and new hardware installed. States the units was pressure washed clean and repainted black. I am thinking it might be worth a trip up to check it out. His bill to rebuild was just over $500. Sounds like he is trying to free up some cash though so I still think I can get it for less than $500.

Back