AC Compresssor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got behind on this thread.

One washing out the compressor I would shy away from that unless you have an AC flush system made for doing the job. Do not know what solvents would be compatible.

My AC does not have the service valves on either car both are 73 and they eliminated them. That is sort of bad since I cannot check just the compressor to find a leak.

You do need to change every O-ring in the system so I would think the service valves would need something but I do not know for sure. There is o-ring under both of the plugs in the compressor, one on top and one on the bottom. There is also 0-ring on the pressure relief valve on the top rear of the compressor.

I did put a new seal on the shaft behind the clutch. Not difficult to do and that seal is quite complicated and uses carbon for a seal surface.

You also need to get a new dryer which is also the filter on this system.

One the R-134. It is not as efficient as R-12. I used the Dura Cool refrigerant and it is way better than R-12 or R-134. Here is link to their site. You can buy from them or also on Amazon. They also have the lube with dye in it that is compatible with their product.

My system developed a leak this spring that I have not located. Will not show up with black light and sniffer will not pick it up. :huh:

I am trying to clean up the garage some and will tackle my leak in my system soon.

I've been to Classic Air in Tampa many times over the years as I live across the Bay from Tampa in St. Pete.

Been buying their AC parts, including compressors, for years for my vintage Thunderbirds and Mach 1's. They supply NPD with their parts.

I watched the techs rebuild the compressors on site and fabricate parts as well.

Yet, despite the individual approach taken, I've found their AC parts regularly fail--especially in the leak category--like other manufacturers. I have no answer as to why.

Back