Aluminum water pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I have a Weiand Aluminum water pump, what is this bypass hole I am supposed to drill? Anybody have pics?

Omar,

are you referring to the 2 threaded holes on the pump? If not where did you get the info about having to drill a bypass hole and where. I still have to unpack my camera so haven't got a chance to take a pic of my setup yet.

On the pantera site, they show the weiand water pump doesn't have the third hole that is in our blocks. They say make an outline with a gasket, drill an 1/8" pilot in the center, then drill a 1/2" hole at a 30 degree angle into the small passage below they outside heater hose hole. Then use a die grinder to taper the outside to meet the block opening. I checked my original pump, and it has the third hole.

On the pantera site, they show the weiand water pump doesn't have the third hole that is in our blocks. They say make an outline with a gasket, drill an 1/8" pilot in the center, then drill a 1/2" hole at a 30 degree angle into the small passage below they outside heater hose hole. Then use a die grinder to taper the outside to meet the block opening. I checked my original pump, and it has the third hole.
The Cleveland doesn't use that third hole. I just checked my original motor and where that mod would be there is a pipe plug in the screw hole. I think for a 351W they use those two ports on the pump but for the 351C only the lower screw hole is used for one heater hose and the other heater hose goes to block by the thermostat.. How is the pump on your car now set up? I am thinking that there is a pipe plug in the top hole of the pump right now. Does your original pump have a pipe plug there? Let me know.

Edit: I looked at the Pantera Website and there is a guy that says he's had the Weiland pump that's unmoded in for a year with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back