Always a dissapointment when our childhood heroes fail us...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Like a lot of people do in life, I tended to become a little more emotionally attached in my youth to unimportant things in life. It doesn't happen to me anymore because I am now older and ( hopefully) wiser...I really only care deeply about family and close friends now.

Uhh..., make that "friend".

Some of my "fallen heroes" of days gone by are:

#1) Star Trek:. Who would have ever guessed the heroic, decisive Captain Kirk...defeating Klingons and Romulans while bangin' tin-foil clad space-bebes was such a universally-hated, selfish and egocentric jerk in real life?

#2) Starsky & Hutch: Paul Michael Glaser hated the show; he sued TWICE to try and get out of it. David Soul turns out to be a drunken, wife-beater. Hardly a heroic team.

#3) 71-73 Mustangs: (sorry gang!) This GM-influenced model...my favorite, of course...was so hated by the old guard within Ford that it doesn't even display the "Ford" name anywhere inside or out.

#4) KISS: What can be said: a raging egomaniac, his ruthless partner and two horiffically self-destructive drug addicts/ alcoholics. Hardly an inspiration.

#5) The Beatles: Great chemistry...too bad they self-destructed so early. This one was worth it though for all the great music left behind.

Having unrealistic child-like appreciations is great...until you get older and realize they are all just regular people with thier fair share of troubles and problems.

Where's Peter Pan when you need him?

Last edited:
Yeah, "Baretta". My favorite show until "Starsky & Hutch" debuted. Robert Blake...what a poser.

Kills his wife, goes to jail and cries like a little bitch every day about how he's afraid for his life. Gets acquitted, gets out and now he's got his "tough guy" personality back in full glory. Disgusting.

The "FORD" emblem is is displayed on typical generic areas: door sills, hub caps, radio dials, underhood mechanical components, etc...areas that have components shared with other car lines. And also molded into parts and part numbers.

But there is no display anywhere on the car, inside or out of the "beauty" FORD name.

This was ( supposedly) a reaction by the old-school Ford crew who considered the heavily Knudsen/ Halderman-influenced design ( 2 recent ex-GM guys) to not really represent what they felt should have been the new Mustang.

This was told to me personally by Jack Passino at a function in '87.

Not sure if any of those guys were dissapoinments. In fact, "Columbo" is one of my all-time favorites. I really, really like Peter Falk in just about everything he did. Poor bastard died a miserable dimentia-riddled death. Sad.

those actors r just real people. that have real lives with flaws just like us.the fans r the ones that put them on the high pedestal. i'm not condoning there actions at all.but without the fans .the actors r just people,people with a lot of money.and money in the wrong hands is almost always a very bad thing .tv and movies r just entertainment nothing more. just my $.05 worth,just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
those actors r just real people. that have real lives with flaws just like us.the fans r the ones that put then on the high pedestal. i'm not condoning there actions at all.but without the fans .the actors r just people,people with a lot of money.and money in the wrong hands is almost always a very bad thing .tv and movies r just entertainment nothing more. just my $.05 worth,just a thought
I share the same opinion.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

....who considered the heavily Knudsen/ Halderman-influenced design ( 2 recent ex-GM guys) to not really represent what they felt should have been the new Mustang.
Although I don´t wanna say your sources were wrong but Halderman was the one guy whose design was chosen for the 65 Mustang. (He designed the car that looked like a standard 65 but with the "bullet" nose).

So I don´t understand how one would bash a design that came from the same guy.

I would file that kinda talk under "rewriting history in hindsight".

If Ford had not wanted the car to look like it did they would not have put it on the market. Period. One would think that they guys who were in a position to decide to delete a script would also have the power to say "no" to the car as such.

I think the fact that there is no Ford script is that they probably wanted to make the name "Mustang" speak for itself.

The Corvette had no Chevy script (as far as I know) either. My friend´s 1971 Buick Riviera has no Buick scripts. Somewhere inside the car it reads "RIVIERA by Buick". (I think on the dashboard somewhere.)

I have seen that on various other cars of the same era, so I think that would explain the missing script.

Just my two cents.

I am trying to recall where the ford emblem is on the 1969 mustang. I looked at some pictures but didn't see any.

And I like Shatner. I think he is funny.

What disappoints is when our chosen leaders disappoint us. While never a big fan of President Clinton his taking advantage of an intern and then lying lying and lying again about it was both a major disappointment and a tarnishment of the office that we have not recovered from.

Yeah, your right: Halderman was a Ford guy, not a GM convert. Knudsen brought over a few of his cronies, one of them Larry Shinoda. But it is well known that Shinoda most definitely did NOT like the design of the big-body 'Stangs.

Knudsen definitely influenced the design of the car using GM cues and ideas.

There was another Bunkie-buddy that was on the late design work of the car...can't remember his name.

Passino told me this as well as a bunch of other random stuff, but remmber...he was not directly involved in anything to do with the 71 Mustang. More like random gossip, but he seemed pretty well-connected in the whole scheme of things.

I am trying to recall where the ford emblem is on the 1969 mustang. I looked at some pictures but didn't see any.

And I like Shatner. I think he is funny.

What disappoints is when our chosen leaders disappoint us. While never a big fan of President Clinton his taking advantage of an intern and then lying lying and lying again about it was both a major disappointment and a tarnishment of the office that we have not recovered from.
Yep, but then the people of his country re-elected him! I was stunned, amazed, and disappointed all at the same time.

I'm cool with it not saying Ford anywhere. I was never a Ford fan... I even removed the Ford grille badge off my '82 Mustang, and whenever anybody asked, I simply said, "I actually hate Fords... Mine's a Mustang." ;)

Pawn Stars. Turns out everybody except Chumlee is pretty much a bunch of arrogant D-Bags and won't interface with the customers unless you've got a good deal for them - which kind of sucks, because I still like the show.

I don't recall a disappointment but I have always like watching Tom Selleck (magnum PI, Quigley down under). I do remember as a youngster watching Happy days and finding out "the fonze" was a weenie...AAAAAA that was a let down. Now he promotes taking advantage of old people with government reverse mortgage...what a P.O.S.

Remember seeing Lee Marvin as a kid when I lived north of Cairns. He had been Marlin fishing and was carrying an empty case of whiskey Down the wharf. :cool:

All the rest of my childhood idols where Harley riding dirtbags. Viking on a bike :D what kid wouldn't want that:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back