An endless stream of oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73SmkBomb

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe
Rebuilt 351 Cleveland with the basic speed parts 4V Carb, Intake, Very Mild Cam, and header H Code (pretty sure, whatever the base model 2V is)
Hot Rod Black
Swapped the FMX for a T-5
2.75 gears
Motor was rebuilt in the winter of 2015-2016 has about 1100 miles as of right now.
This car was my highschool love affair, my dad and I bought it out of a field where it had been sitting for ten years. When we first got the car running my dad affectionately nicknamed the car "The Smoke Bomb" because the valve stem seals were gone so it would blow a big plume of smoke everytime you started it up.
I need the guidance of a Cleveland Guru to guide me through the mist. So, when I got my car a few years back it had a cheap, Chinese, chrome oil pan. This pan leaked a little bit the whole time I had the car, but it was manageable. Then, about 9 months ago I rebuilt the motor and gave it a complete gasket refresh, pan included. Shortly after it started to dump oil from the plug, approx. a quart overnight. So I got a Milodon pan with new gaskets hoping it would fix the problem, It is now back to a manageable leak, only 10 or 20 drops from the the front seal after I drive the car. I assume this is due to left over crankcase pressure pushing it's way out, but if I'm wrong please correct me. So has anyone had this problem and found a way to stop these engines from leaking? I used FelPro gaskets so they should be quality products but, I'm open to any suggestions.

If you have the PCV and vent hoses connected and functioning there shouldn't be any pressure in the crankcase.

When you rebuilt the engine did you replace the harmonic balancer? If not, did you make sure it doesn't have a groove worn in the snout by the seal. Did you put some sealer around the outside of the new seal when you installed it?

Last edited by a moderator:
most common mistakes;

using sealer on cork gaskets.

over tightening bolts.

using rubber end seals instead of "The Right Stuff"

Paul
I can guarantee that the bolts are torqued to spec. However, I did do the other two. The cork gaskets don't leak so I don't think that's a problem but I was also baffled at how the front seal was supposed to keep anything out because it is the most archaic design I've ever run across. So you're recommending that I remove the rubber end seals altogether and just replace it with silicone gasket maker? should I be generous with the amount of sealer or can I go overboard?

Pretty sure Paul is referring more to intake manifold than oil pan gaskets regarding the 'Right Stuff' in lieu of rubber end seals. The rubber seals on an oil pan gasket work fine for the most part. Not a lot of torque there to deform anything. There really isn't any pressure buildup in an oil pan unless you have a 'blow-by' situation. The advice on checking the harmonic balancer shaft is right on which is why they sell inexpensive sleeves to help resolve that as a source.

Maybe this will help: I experienced a drooling oil issue on a shop built engine (302) on one occasion when they did not install the oil slinger on the crankshaft. Once I installed one, that corrected the issue.

Latest posts

Back