AOD Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the links - Rosehill is where I got my AOD yoke from.

Interestingly enough (and since you mentioned it), I am also a CZ guy (CZ-85B). ;)

You are correct! My AOD is being built by Dan Gilsdorf with 4R70W internals, upgraded valve body, an upgraded output shaft and a brazed lock-up converter custom built by Chris at Cilcle D.

I'm sorry I don't really do a very good job of posting a lot of details. It seems I'm always in a hurry, especially at work when I'm supposed to be working and not fiddling on the net. ;).

I'm going with 3.89 rear end, versus the 2.75 that is in it now.

The tranny is being delivered soon, so hopefully next week, I can report on how it goes.

Interestingly enough (and since you mentioned it), I am also a CZ guy (CZ-85B). ;)
Gotta love the ambi controls on the 85!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links - Rosehill is where I got my AOD yoke from.

Glen Buzek"Rosehill Performance" is a long standing Buddy of mine,('nother Forum) and also where I got myT-5 yoke from, Hehheh betcha they're the same part # too. He is a heck of a guy, and with his brother Steve, they now own Steve's Mustang Parts, outside of Tomball Texas.

CZ's do Rock don't they!!

I dropped off my car at the shop that will do the swap. I have been worried for a while that I really found a shop that knows what they are doing.. they had a 1970 fastback on one of their lists with an AOD installed... I can rest easy.

The shop finally got my car in and have pulled the FMX out. But before they install the AOD, they want to put the dipstick tube on.

They are looking for the best solution. According to my research, and AOD dipstick tube from a FOx body Mustang with a 5.0 and AOD will work... but can anyone tell me how it mounts? to the firewall or to the engine block?

To one of the bell housing bolts above the starter
Absolutely correct!

In fact, nothing "hard connected" to the engine/tranny actually mounts to the firewall because vibrations and such would most likely tear up sheet metal.

Well, I picked up my car this wekend, and drove it quite a bit with the AOD installed. It would shift into a higher gear too soon. The car seemed to want to keep RPMs down below 2,000. It also wouldn't kick down from OD to 3rd gear. Last night, when I got home from a weekend at the lake, I tightened up the TV cable, but have not had a chance to drive it again.

Also, the throttle seems a lot stiffer than it used to be.

The cable might be a little too tight. I'd drive it first to know for sure, but it makes sense to me that if the throttle is tighter, and it's shifting too soon, then the operating pressure controlled by the cable might be a little too high (this is all based on my research - I don't have any practical application). Now that the TV cable is [essentially] attached to the throttle linkage, there should be a little bit of difference, but not hugely noticeable.

Also, check the routing of the TV cable to ensure the cable is not pinched or have a too tight radius anywhere - which would cause cable binding and make things 'stiffer' to operate. You want a little bit of pressure on the TV cable to keep the operating pressure in the right range... but the cable shouldn't require much effort to operate at all.

Also, don't drive it too much until you get things properly set-up. Having no (or too low) pressure on the TV cable will cause the transmission to burn-up... and having too much will likely cause similar issues that might just take longer to realize.

Glad to hear you got it all back in and working. Now you just gotta fine-tune everything and enjoy!

BTW - how's do the gear ratios feel (should be essentially the same as the FMX, until OD - might feel a slight difference because of the 4R70Ws... but probably not as much as you think)? Did you get the rear gear swapped out yet, or was that going to be a later project?

Well, I talked to the shop and they said it sounds like it needs more pressure. I told them there was a little bit of slack in the cable. They said it sounds like the retaining set screw may have slipped. I will test things out later today.

It's acting like the transmission thinks I'm coasting

Either way, hope you get it sorted out ASAP. I know if it were a standard AOD, it quite possibly would've fried by now (again, based on the things I've read).

Good luck! You've made it this far... ::thumb::

I took about 1/8 inch of slack out of the cable, and now it operates perfectly!!!!!!

Nice tyo be able to chirp the tires with teh wide ratio's agressive first gear... :)

He he.... took it out again... grinning ear to ear. I can't wait to put the 3.89 rear end into her. :)
Current rear is a 2.75?

So do a test for me. Get it to 70mph and in 4th gear. Then without it downshifting accelerate as fast as you can to 80-85. What I'm looking for is the RPM at 70mph and how well your engine does pulling from that RPM to the higher rpms needed at 80mph. Wondering if it feels like a dog to go from 70 to whatever faster speed.

Repeat the test with the 3.89 gears later and compare.

I'm not 100% sure about the current rear end. Marti report indicates it was built with 2.75, but RPMs at 70 suggest it may be 3.25... I'm right at 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH with 26.4" tires.

I will do your test as soon as I can get it out on the right roadway.

I'm not 100% sure about the current rear end. Marti report indicates it was built with 2.75, but RPMs at 70 suggest it may be 3.25... I'm right at 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH with 26.4" tires.

I will do your test as soon as I can get it out on the right roadway.
Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me now as I remember the thread about your rear gears. I was/am very much convinced that your rear is a 3.25. As such the test I proposed is even more relevant. The 3.25 to 3.89 gear range is optimal for the wide ratio AOD. This test will help to hone in on the performance characteristics of the 351 pulling power on the interstate with both of the end points of rear gear selection. Exciting times! We should switch bach over to your thread with this discussion to keep the test results and rear discussion in a central location.

Back