Austin Vert Reviews Custom Autosound's Slidebar Radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

as i said, this is a good system and will deliver the goods for you.

Yes, the glove box used for audio connections is a very good way to hide the these things. I chose to make the docking port and go with that concept, for quick and easy access to pop my usb stick in because that's what i mainly use these days to play back my music collection.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Yes you are right about that looks like a original audio ;-) And it is what I've been waiting for ;-) Because I don't like that when people have put a New one instead of the original ;-) My plan is to not have the antenna install Now. But yuse My ipod ore my phone connection with Music ;-) Regards Lars DK73

I have never liked the look of a radio antenna on a car. Apparently niether does Ford, for they have been airbrushing off of every brochure shot of thier cars and trucks for many, many years.

I removed mine and filled in the hole 20 years ago...I think it looks much better that way. I installed a powered hidden antenna, it works great. I recommend for anyone who doesn't like antennas.

This thread basically convinced me how to put sound in my 71 vert. Got the 230 model custom autosound and the polk marine speakers. Love not having to reinvent the frikking wheel. I used a multimeter to find an "always hot" lead (not cig lighter) and an "ignition on" lead near the radio location. (Maybe some of these leads were for the radio... I don't know, the radio was missing when I bought the car.

Also I noted that the original speaker wiring joined the front speaker left and right negative to a common lead. I used the wires but separated their connection. The new radio had a negative wire for each speaker, so i didn't want to mess with fate.

Rigged the wiring and sounds good, now the physical install to complete the work.

This thread basically convinced me how to put sound in my 71 vert. Got the 230 model custom autosound and the polk marine speakers. Love not having to reinvent the frikking wheel. I used a multimeter to find an "always hot" lead (not cig lighter) and an "ignition on" lead near the radio location. (Maybe some of these leads were for the radio... I don't know, the radio was missing when I bought the car.

Also I noted that the original speaker wiring joined the front speaker left and right negative to a common lead. I used the wires but separated their connection. The new radio had a negative wire for each speaker, so i didn't want to mess with fate.

Rigged the wiring and sounds good, now the physical install to complete the work.
Hi Scooby,

Hope it all goes well for you on the finished install job.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the sound quality of this setup.

Please let us know what you think after your install work is done.

Thanks for the review. I just picked up my Mustang Radio I got the system 1 speaker package to go along with it. Sounds great!
What radio did you go with?
I'm definitely getting this! Do you have to get any kind of after market wire harness to plug into the old radios harness or do you have to rewire everything? Also, how much extra is it for the Bluetooth option? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.....great thread! I am ready to do an install...........when I have my car!
Good deal~ next how bout rear speakers? Mine for being a vert is as ,,,,Marine quality by JBL

Wow.....great thread! I am ready to do an install...........when I have my car!
Good deal~ next how bout rear speakers? Mine for being a vert is as ,,,,Marine quality by JBL
Hi Mikke,

Thanks for that!

I am not sure what you are talking about when you mention the rear speakers for your convertible though. I'm not sure what you are getting at there sorry.:chin:

Greg

Did you need this bracket when you did your install. Will be doing my install soon and want the make sure I have everything. I will need to dig one of these up if I need it. Also, I was going to order the antenna you got from Don. Does that just plug into the back of the unit. Any other thing I need to know about.

Thank,

Jim

2016-11-22-16-44-30--1336158624.jpg

Greg

Did you need this bracket when you did your install. Will be doing my install soon and want the make sure I have everything. I will need to dig one of these up if I need it. Also, I was going to order the antenna you got from Don. Does that just plug into the back of the unit. Any other thing I need to know about.

Thank,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I'm not 100% sure, but the best i can recall, the new unit had it's own mounting bracket that the installer and myself made use of.

Also, as i recall, the antenna plug went into the back of the Auto Sound unit OK. My apologies if i am proved wrong here to both your questions.

Any other things? - not really - if your doing a DIY install, just read carefully and follow all the instructions well and you should be OK.

Greg

Thank,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I'm not 100% sure, but the best i can recall, the new unit had it's own mounting bracket that the installer and myself made use of.

Also, as i recall, the antenna plug went into the back of the Auto Sound unit OK. My apologies if i am proved wrong here to both your questions.

Any other things? - not really - if your doing a DIY install, just read carefully and follow all the instructions well and you should be OK.

Thanks Greg

Greg

I'm starting to install the speakers you recommended and I remember you said that you had to cut out some of the door speaker hole. I was playing around with it and I'm not sure where to cut? Also there's the spacer in the picture and I don't know if you used it or not. Can you give me some input on how you cut the hole and whether you use this spacer not.

Thanks Jim

20161214_124445.jpg

20161214_124433.jpg

Hi Jim,

OK - First up, you won't need or be using the spacers at all. Simply, the Polk speakers can be mounted straight onto the inner door skins. You can mount the speakers either behind the sheet metal door skins, or sitting on top of them. You will find the existing door hole speaker cut outs are a little too small to fit the speakers. Carefully mark out with a marker pen, how much excess you want to remove from the inner door skin panel and using a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, cut the correct amount of metal out. Be careful not to cut out or remove too much metal here. It should be carried out accurately.

Once you are satisfied that you have trimmed out all the metal you want to, then pencil brush or spray paint some paint around the cut out edges, so the steel won't rust up later on. Next, mark out where the four mounting speaker holes will end up going,drill out the holes,and then using nuts and bolts and washers, secure the speakers tightly to the inner door shells. You can also use little rubber washers or the like, to help stop any speaker vibration or rattle that might occur later on.

That's basically it, or that's the way i went about installing the two Polk brand front speakers in my '73 Mach 1. Hope that helps Jim.

Thanks Greg

so basically your saying that the cutting was done to open the hole for sound. I mean you didn't cut the hole so that the speaker would slip in or cut out that recessing part that goes around the perimeter of the cutout so that the speaker fits more flush from the inside. If I understand I can basically bolted up to the back and dont have to cut anything off at all is that correct? If you look at my pictures you can see that the metal around the cutout is recessed in so that the speaker can sit in someone placed on the outside of the door. I was worried that if I try to mount it on the inside with this recess still there the speaker would sit farther back in the door and possibly hit the glass.

Jim

Back