Austin Vert Revisites Window Reg Problem.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just wanted to do an update on a topic that has been dealt with before on the Forum, and thought that it would benefit members to revisit it again, but with more detail and a head's up benefit included.

OK, i own a '73 Mach 1 with factory power windows.There is a specific type or design of a roller used that connects the metal channel guide that is attached to the bottom of the window glass, and the end of the regulator arm itself. The roller itself, is attached to the end of the regulator arm by rivet or nut and thread, i'm told, depending on what year of Mustang you own. In my case, i had the factory roller riveted on the end of the reg arm. Also, bare in mind that the power window regulator design, is different to the manual reg design, so i'm not sure if the same rollers are used for the different regs. I need feedback on that one.

In any case, my original Mach 1 rollers were stuffed with age, and when driving, caused fairly loud rattling noises when the power windows were lowered all the way down. When the window glass is in that position, the reg mechanism is relaxed where it's attached to the lower window channel metal strip, and because the original rollers were old and worn out, it caused the whole mechanism to move around and rattle. If you raised the window up slightly about 2 or 3 inches, the rattle noises went away, because the mech was engaged again, wasn't relaxed, and therefore didn't rattle.

Realizing i had to replace the two rollers, i set about trying to find the right parts for this specific application. My first port of call was NPD (National Parts Depot). They were selling the correct designed rollers but were not cheap. I'm not sure whether they were repros or NOS stock. Stupid me only bought one instead of two rollers. I went back to buy the second roller a few months later, only to be told that they had run out of stock, and would not be carrying anymore stock again. Gone for good.

I panicked somewhat, and jumped on Ebay where a private seller was selling one in America for $28.00 It was a genuine Ford part, that had never been used and was still in it's plastic Ford packet. I bought it, forgetting that this topic had been dealt with before, where c9zx - Chuck, had kindly recommended buying a Dorman brand product that would do the job just as well, and at a fraction of the asking price. Silly me again.:shootself:

So the upshot is, that these rollers are hard to find in the general sense, but the Dorman connection should make life easier for those that will need these parts for their Mustangs. BTW - these rollers are not true rollers in reality, as they are square in design, and don't roll, but slide and glide along the lower glass metal channel. The metal threaded shaft, has a ball and socket design, so the action allows some swivel pivoting movement, which you will need for the up and down displacement effect the window mech has through normal usage.

In my case, i drilled out the old original rollers that were riveted on, and replaced them with the two rollers i had first bought. These are a nut and thread setup to fit on. I used some thread locker such as Locktite to make sure they won't come loose down the track. The end result was very good, giving the power windows a smoother action up and down, and that was the end of the rattling noises as well. I checked out the Dorman rollers on line and found that the specifications and measurements appear to be the same as the genuine Ford roller i bought for myself. If any Forum members have bought the Dorman brand product, and installed them, then nobody has got back to the Forum with any feedback good or bad, as far as i'm aware. The Dorman parts can be purchased from several outlets across America, such as Summit Racing, Amazon, Rock Auto,Autozone etc.The ofical part name and description is - Window regulator roller. Prt number - 74402.

That just about covers it then i think.::thumb::

See references and pics below.

Genuine Ford original part that i bought from Ebay.

001.JPG004.JPG006.JPG008.JPG

Dorman Part Reference -

http://www.finddormanhelp.com/Product?ProductID=1710&q=74402

Where to buy Dorman parts -

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dorman+window+roller+74402&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hope that helps,

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Austin Vert,

Nice write up. It is unfortunate that a lot of the NOS stuff is slowly disappearing. In my opinion, the NOS far exceeds most of the reproduction produts out there.

mustang7173

Back