auto upholstery fabric

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
I cant say Ive seen this company mentioned? In my search for seat fabrics I came across these folks SMS AUTO FABRICS out of Canby Oregon. Right up front they are Very slow making the covers. I mean really slow. However there reviews of the actual fabric and craftsmanship is very good. So, if you can wait a bit for them to make your upholstery covers you might be Okay. OR, they ship just the fabric pretty quick.
I had 3 color samples swatches shipped to me for the mach. The color and the pattern was DEAD on to my O.E fabric! Vermillion red is a tough color to match up when you've got seat covers, headliner, sail panels, all the plastic covers and such. Ive found that you need many manufactures to fill these parts needs. All of them have there opinion as to what Vermillion red is to look like. None of them match the other manufacturers colors. By the way the closest spray paint is Scott drake med vermillion red as a match. My local paint company Wesco tried 3 times to formulate the color and put into spray cans but never did match it.
Another seller that has the "correct" color match, and tier grain match for headliners is called classicautotrimnv (EBAY name) out of Nevada. You order the headliner and they give you, really for "free" enough material to do your sun visors and sail panels. This helps fulfill 3 items with the same material and texture match.
One more item on my list was to, as closely as possible, match the black out hood. David supplied a tracing of his hood and I had a stencil from the internet. I was able to take the best of both and make my own stencil and paint it on the hood. Then I set out to actually have a GOOD computer graphics engineer make an actual Vinyl decal. He is in the process of that and should be done soon. I will post the price as soon as I get it from him. The reason these are diffacult to make is all the curves around the hood nostrils. The actual decal must be distorted on its outline to make the curves and valleys correct when applied.
Really, an actual decal your local decal installer can apply. To help my local graphics guy, can anyone interested in this hood decal please notify me so I can get an actual head count. Your not commited to buy one, just need a head count of anyone interested for a better idea.
I want to Thank all the great members who have helped me over the past 3 years on this mach project. Also the forum vendors who dug deep to find that part I needed. I've used every vendor on this site.
The car is turning out awesome!! I seriously couldn't have had a better experience than this forum.
********I JUST RECEIVED THE PRICING QUOTE BACK FOR THE NASA HOOD BLACKOUT DECAL.*****
$265.00 PLUS TAX AND SHIPPING.
Rod

Last edited:
Rod congrats on your Mach nearing its completion. That’s an exciting time. Your car has a great interior color, I’m jealous. My light pewter convertible has a black interior, and while it’s nice, IMO nothing compares to the pop of a vermillion red interior. I can only imagine the headache from trying to match all the trim pieces to the correct shade of red.

You are absolutely right, the members, the willingness to share knowledge and the vendors on this forum are really incredible. I’m a member of many different mustang forums and this the best, bar none.

Good luck with the hood graphics I will definitely be watching for pictures of the results.

I cant say Ive seen this company mentioned? In my search for seat fabrics I came across these folks SMS AUTO FABRICS out of Canby Oregon. Right up front they are Very slow making the covers. I mean really slow. However there reviews of the actual fabric and craftsmanship is very good. So, if you can wait a bit for them to make your upholstery covers you might be Okay. OR, they ship just the fabric pretty quick.
I had 3 color samples swatches shipped to me for the mach. The color and the pattern was DEAD on to my O.E fabric! Vermillion red is a tough color to match up when you've got seat covers, headliner, sail panels, all the plastic covers and such. Ive found that you need many manufactures to fill these parts needs. All of them have there opinion as to what Vermillion red is to look like. None of them match the other manufacturers colors. By the way the closest spray paint is Scott drake med vermillion red as a match. My local paint company Wesco tried 3 times to formulate the color and put into spray cans but never did match it.
Another seller that has the "correct" color match, and tier grain match for headliners is called classicautotrimnv (EBAY name) out of Nevada. You order the headliner and they give you, really for "free" enough material to do your sun visors and sail panels. This helps fulfill 3 items with the same material and texture match.
One more item on my list was to, as closely as possible, match the black out hood. David supplied a tracing of his hood and I had a stencil from the internet. I was able to take the best of both and make my own stencil and paint it on the hood. Then I set out to actually have a GOOD computer graphics engineer make an actual Vinyl decal. He is in the process of that and should be done soon. I will post the price as soon as I get it from him. The reason these are diffacult to make is all the curves around the hood nostrils. The actual decal must be distorted on its outline to make the curves and valleys correct when applied.
Really, an actual decal your local decal installer can apply. To help my local graphics guy, can anyone interested in this hood decal please notify me so I can get an actual head count. Your not commited to buy one, just need a head count of anyone interested for a better idea.
I want to Thank all the great members who have helped me over the past 3 years on this mach project. Also the forum vendors who dug deep to find that part I needed. I've used every vendor on this site.
The car is turning out awesome!! I seriously couldn't have had a better experience than this forum.
********I JUST RECEIVED THE PRICING QUOTE BACK FOR THE NASA HOOD BLACKOUT DECAL.*****
$265.00 PLUS TAX AND SHIPPING.
Rod
i discovered sms also. they saved my butt. i tell everyone i can about them. i was able to purchase a couple yards of NOS dark green comfort weave from them. then had a local spokane, wa upholstery shop (mild to wild) use it to reupholster my seats. front and back. they turned out awesome. look like they did on oct 8, 1970. my upholstery shop was also able to reuse the little chrome inserts that were in the seats. stanchons ?

Attachments

• IMG_8017 2.JPG
    IMG_8017 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back