Autolite battery for a 73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jim,

I have the same issue with my 73. I am not ready for a battery for a while but will have the same issue. You can use an Autolite it just won't be original. Someone else may be able to chime in on where to get a Motorcraft repro but I have not seen them.

Jeff

Jeff, All,

Do you know if anyone makes a concourse correct Motorcraft. Any reason I couldnt use the Autolite?

Thanks,

Jim

Or you can go to the dealer and get a Motorcraft battery. I know Ford has a comparable sized Motorcraft battery that I am about to buy for my 71 here shortly. Hell the last 3 I have owned have lasted 6-9 years. 2 were in DD Trucks and the other in my wifes car.

Years ago I searched for Motorcraft repro batteries for 73 mustangs. Basically, there are non-existent. I have seen a couple rare original ones for sale at some of the national MCA shows, but they are, for the most part, for display only since they have long lost their juice and charging capacity. They are also really expensive.

I had to replace the battery in my vert this past spring and contacted the local Ford dealer to see about getting a modern Motorcraft battery to basically stay in the spirit -- no luck. Ended up with a Advance Auto in-house battery with plenty of cold crank amps for about $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this on another website - not sure if it is correct but it is close:

"If memory is correct, Ford used Autolite until around March of 1972. After that everything was Motorcraft. It was early in the 72 calendar year that Motorcraft came about. Seems as though Ford sold Autolite to Allied Signal and had them manufacture the Motorcraft stuff for a time."

Ray

I believe it was the BXT-24F Motorcraft battery that would fit in our battery trays is what I was looking at getting. I'll check the measurements again tonight. But the one I was looking at would fit and work with the top hold down bracket.

mdan,

I am also very interested in what you fnd out...I think if the car came with air or power windows or rear defrost you would have gotten the group 27 battery.

Jeff

I believe it was the BXT-24F Motorcraft battery that would fit in our battery trays is what I was looking at getting. I'll check the measurements again tonight. But the one I was looking at would fit and work with the top hold down bracket.

Yes, 27F with power windows and/or defrost. Maybe also with all 429s, buf not sure about that. I use an Autk-Zone "Dura-Last" flat-top with a fake "Autolite" cover on top. Not perfect ( should be a 27F, I have a 24F), buf it looks good to most casual observers.

Back