Cloth or vinyl Convertible Top?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
After 5 years, Stang is almost finished. I am about to buy a top with glass window. I will keep the Stang undercover when it's finished. Would like your opinions.
What looks better? Cloth or Vinyl?
What lasts longer? Cloth or Vinyl?

Attachments

• Topp.jpg
    Topp.jpg
    340.6 KB
That's a good question. Can we assume you are going with black?
Is cloth available?
I think cloth would be a bit less shiny but harder to clean?
How often will you be putting the top down? It's the wear points that would concern me with cloth.

That's a good question. Can we assume you are going with black?
Is cloth available?
I think cloth would be a bit less shiny but harder to clean?
How often will you be putting the top down? It's the wear points that would concern me with cloth.
Yes, Black. It is $300 more expensive than vinyl. Plan on using top quite a bit.

I don't like to hijack a tread but I've got question about tops also.

So my vert top is probably close to the original. It now has a couple of tears along the trunk edge and a 3 inch rip in the middle. I've been meaning to replace but finding somebody has been an issue. So mine appear to a be combination of canvas , maybe vinyl. It's an extremely dense material layer construction.

Do the new tops have the same construction? I believe when I had it replaced shortly aftering getting the car due to vandalism it was just a few years old. Are these replacements similar?

Back