Automatic shifter recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I'm replacing carpet etc and pulled my shifter bezel off and found a little surprise for me. One of the 4 screw bodies that hold the bezel in place has broken off.

First - I'm not sure how to remove the T handle top so that I can work on this lower part or replace it.

Second - I don't want to screw up my shifting by doing something I shouldn't if I were to replace the broken part (if I can actually find it). Not sure what the technical name for it is.

Third - do you think it is repairable? I could build it up with some metalized epoxy then drill and tap it out perhaps? Not sure if this would be possible. It isn't load bearing in any way so basically just needs to hold down the shifting bezel.

Attachments

• IMG20240414131621 edit.jpg
    IMG20240414131621 edit.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
I would think the other 3 screws would hold it down firmly where the 4th would not matter, just place a screw in for looks, it is just the bezel.

T Handle has an allen set screw you loosen to take off, look on the dash side of the t handle (just going by memory).

How about cutting the bad part off to where it is level and use a longer screw (you might have to tap the shaft if the thread does not go down past the cut you make).

I think there must be something more than this Allen set screw holding it in place.

I like your idea to just grinding the other part down and drilling and tapping any longer screw!

If it is the broken screw that is still inside that housing I have had a bit of success with a reverse threaded screw extractor. WD40 the job a couple of days before starting. When the top of the broken screw is angled as much as that one, I start the hole with a diamond etcher in a Dremel. Keep the hole centered until it is deep enough for the drill bit to bight. If you have a drill that rotates both ways you can use a reverse drill bit. If you are lucky the screw may even come out while you are drilling the hole but I have never been that lucky.
Keep the hole straight. Keep someone on the side to give you directions.
When you buy a screw extractor (not expensive) they will have the recommended size for the screw you are extracting. It is really satisfying when that little b*^#t^'d comes out.
Hoping for the best:cool:

All posts above are steering you right. While you have your sifter out, check it for looseness and consider rebuilding it - very cheap and easy considering what it does for you and your driving experience. Here is a great video that I referenced when doing mine.

All posts above are steering you right. While you have your sifter out, check it for looseness and consider rebuilding it - very cheap and easy considering what it does for you and your driving experience. Here is a great video that I referenced when doing mine.
I’m not seeing the link to the video, could you repost it please, this sounds like something I should tackle before it’s a problem. Thanks.

I’m not seeing the link to the video, could you repost it please, this sounds like something I should tackle before it’s a problem. Thanks.
It was embedded in the text - looks like SHerriff41 has you covered.

Great advice! After I was able to remove it I found that some jackhole had put in a screw! Got it removed and retapped it after filing it down a bit and it will be ready to go. Great video also! thanks for adding that.

Back