best clutch kit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
anyone have any suggestions on a clutch kit? I will be using the stock flywheel that im going to get turned. also my motor is a built 351c 4v probably around 400 crank hp. car will be a cruiser and will be driven hard occasionally :) but wont see the strip at all. also can anyone tell me how to determine if my trans is a small bearing or big bearing trans? I see two rebuild kits available one for small bearing and one for big bearing. . my trans is from my 72 q code rug-bj

I had a Centerforce Dual Friction in my car and it was a great clutch until the transmission shop owner decided to test drive my car when I brought it in with a broken shift fork. What an ass! Apologized for ruining my clutch, but wasn't willing to pay for a new pressure plate after burning it up trying to start off stuck in 5th.

I'm running a zoom kevlar 3 finger style now, but at 400 flywheel hp you'll love the centerforce.

When I bought my Centerforce II, I asked a local Mustang shop to install it.

They wanted $750 labor and told me they did not like to install Centerforce

clutches. So, we did the job ourselves. Took four hours in the driveway.

mike

Sounds like center force it is. I actually have one in my 87 and it does work really well. I'm guessing I need an 11 inch disc right? Catalogs can be confusing on recommendations for a 72 mustang

I had a Centerforce Dual Friction in my car and it was a great clutch until the transmission shop owner decided to test drive my car when I brought it in with a broken shift fork. What an ass! Apologized for ruining my clutch, but wasn't willing to pay for a new pressure plate after burning it up trying to start off stuck in 5th.
A letter from a nearby law office wouldn't help? :D

Unfortunately, they were closely connected with a good friend of mine who is a mechanic and it would have soured their relationship-it wasn't worth a $350.00 clutch to do that as Larry has been good to me over the years letting his mechanics do things for me like brakes and differential work that I have no desire or time to get into.

Unfortunately, they were closely connected with a good friend of mine who is a mechanic and it would have soured their relationship-it wasn't worth a $350.00 clutch to do that as Larry has been good to me over the years letting his mechanics do things for me like brakes and differential work that I have no desire or time to get into.
Yeah, I figured it was probably a friend of a friend or something similar.

I prefer the Ford Motorsport King Cobra clutches... pretty nice feeling and very tough.

Bringing this back up as I am in the throes of installing a 427 Windsor stroker (~500 hp/550 ft-lbs) in my 73 Mach 1. I am also installing a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. I want to install the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch but only find them in 11" whereas the flywheel I am buying is 10.5". How do I get an internal balanced flywheel that will take the Centerforce? I can't find one for my car. All help greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back