Clutch Equalizer Bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garbutt.31

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hey guys, doing a 3.03 toploader swap with wide ratio in my 73 vert. Original FMX took a crap and I had the toploader laying around. Eventually want to 4 spd swap before I hear the hate, but I’m a broke college student. Anyone have a clutch equalizer bar, or hear good things about the repop? Don’t know if I should just bite the bullet on an expensive used off eBay or pay the premium and get the repop. Also, any tips on finding all the parts needed for the conversion would be helpful.

Parts I have:
3 spd Toploader
Fork
Clutch
Bellhousing
Bearings: throw out and pilot
Shifter and linkage.

Needed:
Equalizer Bar: “Z bar”
Clutch pedal assembly
Driveshaft yoke
Flywheel
Crossmember

You may also need a starter, they are different than the one for an automatic. The "Z" bar pivots will be needed also, one mounts to the engine/bell housing area and the other to the frame and the bearings that go on those. Also the rod the connects the clutch pedal to the Z bar and the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column that the rod passes through. The drive shaft may also be of a different length than the auto one. Reverse switch that mounts to the shifter linkage and the wiring harness for it which also includes a built in jumper in place of the neutral safety switch wiring used for automatics. Interior shift lever boot. Reverse lock out rod that connects to steering column and trans shifter linkage (forces you to put the shifter in reverse to lock the steering wheel and permit removal of the ignition key). Speedometer gear at transmission, and perhaps the the speedo cable (could be different length than for auto and come in the opposite side of the transmission). Seat belt warning switch (mounts to trans) and wiring to it making the seat belt warning system work properly (if desired). A lot more to a conversion than may realized.

You may also need a starter, they are different than the one for an automatic. The "Z" bar pivots will be needed also, one mounts to the engine/bell housing area and the other to the frame and the bearings that go on those. Also the rod the connects the clutch pedal to the Z bar and the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column that the rod passes through. The drive shaft may also be of a different length than the auto one. Reverse switch that mounts to the shifter linkage and the wiring harness for it which also includes a built in jumper in place of the neutral safety switch wiring used for automatics. Interior shift lever boot. Reverse lock out rod that connects to steering column and trans shifter linkage (forces you to put the shifter in reverse to lock the steering wheel and permit removal of the ignition key). Speedometer gear at transmission, and perhaps the the speedo cable (could be different length than for auto and come in the opposite side of the transmission). Seat belt warning switch (mounts to trans) and wiring to it making the seat belt warning system work properly (if desired). A lot more to a conversion than may realized.
Doug, did the seatbelt warning system come stock on all 71-73 mustangs or was that an upgrade ?

Both of my '72s have the warning light. My Q code convertible has the deluxe interior (a 12/71 build) and my H code Mach 1 with a standard interior (a 3/72 build). The Mach 1 buzzes continuously until you buckle it, the convertible only buzzes a few seconds no matter if you buckle or not. I assume federal regulations changed a the start of 1972.

Seatbelt reminder was standard on all 71-72 convertibles. Pre-12/71 cars had the "BELTS" light in the lower left dash. This light was also part of the Deluxe Belts option for coupes and sportsroofs.

12/71 brought the active seatbelt reminder system to all models, with the warning light in the passenger dash and the buzzers that everyone loves.

Hey gang, hope to get the thread back on topic. I have the Ford parts books, but they're kind of buried in my shop right now. Does the 429 have a different Z-bar than the small blocks? I'm dropping a 572 in my '72 Mach 1 and I'm thinking of going with a top loader. Need a block side pivot.

Last edited:
I have a '71 Mach, and mine came with a little , round, redlight as Hemikiller says, that is on the lower left dash, by the headlight switch, and comes on momentarily when you start the car, just says "BELTS". I should say "HAD", because the plastic chrome bezel and red lens disappeared one day and I never found a replacement. If anyone knows of one, PM me on this site, otherwise it's wrecking yard hunting for me. I may just put an aftermarket red indicator unit in the hole, but it won't say "BELTS".

Last edited:
The switch mounted on the transmission made contact only when the transmission was in gear (forward or reverse) and not in neutral. So the the light and buzzer only come on with the trans was in gear with the ignition on and the driver seat belt not extended (passenger seat also if occupied without the seat belt extended. I do not believe, the 71 manual trans had the switch at all nor the buzzer.

Back