Calling all military & vets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only managed to get ten years in before I was no longer any use to the Army. I served as a forward recon, and loved every minute. Only got to see Iraq twice and Afgan once, but would not trade it for the World. Got to do some pretty cool things without others even knowing we were there,lol.

Thank you to all the veterans. ANYONE CLOSE TO COLORADO SPRINGS

1981 - 1984 anti-tank assaultman dragon, 66 millimeter wire guided missile. Did a year in Adak Alaska during my time and went to Okinawa Japan, Korea and Philippines.

Don,

May I please have the shooter award? I've owned a 1911 45ACP, a mdl 657 S&W and currently a Springfield XDM .40.

Additionally, I've fired a M4, M9, M16A2, M2, M60, M249, M240B, MK19, .30-30, .30-06, .22, .357, .44 revolver, AT-4 and ummm....probably a few more. Oh yeah, a few shotguns also.

My favorite was the S&W model 657 which some prick stole when my house was robbed.

-Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to post here to say thanks to all of you for serving.

I went to a military high school as a kid... Culver Military Academy. It was technically JROTC, but was really more of a boarding school with a military theme. I had the pleasure of getting to know Master Seargent James Hunter Smith. He was my Company's Unit Military Officer. This was back in the late 70's, early 80's. Sgt. smith had served a few tours in Vietnam Nam... His first was back before we were officially in the war. He was an "advisor" attached to a Vietnamese special forces unit.

Sgt. smith and I had a rapport... He taught me more about life than my father did. He was humble, but you could tell that he had been thru some real shit... He was an awesome mentor. He ended up writing a book about his experience there, and he signed my copy. It is one of my most prized possessions

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to post here to say thanks to all of you for serving.

I went to a military high school as a kid... Culver Military Academy. It was technically JROTC, but was really more of a boarding school with a military theme. I had the pleasure of getting to know Master Seargent James Hunter Smith. He was my Company's Unit Military Officer. This was back in the late 70's, early 80's. Sgt. smith had served a few tours in Vietnam Nam... His first was back before we were officially in the war. He was an "advisor" attached to a Vietnamese special forces unit.

Sgt. smith and I had a rapport... He taught me more about life than my father did. He was humble, but you could tell that he had been thru some real shit... He was an awesome mentor. He ended up writing a book about his experience there, and he signed my copy. It is one of my most prized possessions
GREAT POST!!!

And great story... thanks!

US Army/Colorado Army National Guard on active duty for 24 years. Retired in 2000 as a Sergeant Major. Stationed in Ft Ord, CA (54th MP Co), Ft Campbell, KY (101st MP Co). COARNG (Personnel and Recruiting)

I had to redo the awards so everyone is now reenlisted and is being recalled to duty.

Also this is a bump for new members to report for duty.

8 years active duty Army 1992-2000 SSG

Military Police

1 year Carlisle barracks, PA HQ USAG

5 years 3ID 3RD MP CO Vilseck, Germany

Deployed operation joint endeavor

Joint forge

Joint guard

2 years 10th Mountain 10TH MP CO Fort Drum, NY

I MISS EVERY DAMN MINUTE OF IT

Well for those of us that didnt serve, we honor all of you that did. I was on the tail end of the NAM era. My brother had just returned in 71 out of the 1st Armored from Ft.Hood and my uncle just returning after 5 (pretty sure that's accurate) fun filled trips with 82nd Airborne from Ft. Bragg. Kenny was there when we didnt exist over there. His buddies would come over on the weekend and they were Berets, Rangers and the like and I can only assume he was a Ranger. I use to listen to them for hours, I lived with him at Ft.Bragg until my brother returned I was 13.

Both talked me down as I announced my desire to enlist.

Well for those of us that didnt serve, we honor all of you that did. I was on the tail end of the NAM era. My brother had just returned in 71 out of the 1st Armored from Ft.Hood and my uncle just returning after 5 (pretty sure that's accurate) fun filled trips with 82nd Airborne from Ft. Bragg. Kenny was there when we didnt exist over there. His buddies would come over on the weekend and they were Berets, Rangers and the like and I can only assume he was a Ranger. I use to listen to them for hours, I lived with him at Ft.Bragg until my brother returned I was 13.

I don't know what kind of award would be appropriate for a guy that almost joined...

maybe this one clittle.png

4 years in Air Force-Basic training at Lackland AFB TX

Tech school at Sheppard AFB TX

Aerospace ground equipment (AGE) Robins AFB GA

6987th Security Group SHU LINKOU Air Station Taipei, Taiwan.

Have been TDY to Keesler AFB MS

Fort Bragg NC

Fort Benning GA

Eglin AFB FL

Pope AFB NC

Wright-Patterson AFB OH

Elmendorf AFB AK

and a few places so remote they didn't have names! Have other family members that were or still are in Marines, Navy, Army, Air Force and the Guard!!

8 yrs, 4 mos, 29 days, US Army, survived the NAM with only a few holes in my hide and 5 MOS'S Germany was a blast, banging nails (carpenter) not knuckles, Texas/White Sands, lived on sand, heat stroke and rattlesnakes in a XM816 wrecker and a bar to "reenlistment", a wannabe general didn't like the idea that I was going to be making more then him without having to say "sir" to any one.

1974-1976 82nd Airborne Division, Pathfinder Platoon and 2/505 Combat Support Company, Ft. Bragg, NC

1976-1978 172 Artic Light Infantry Brigade, Pathfinder Detachment. Fairbanks, AK

1978-1979 Armor Crewman, Georgia Army National Guard

1982-1984 2LT, Medical Service Corps, US Army Reserve

1984-1995 Major, Veterinary Corps, US Army (Ft. Bragg, Ft. Detrick, Walter Reed, USUHS)

2001-2011 LTC, Veterianry Corps, US Army Reserve

I spent time at Ft. Ord, Ft. Polk, Ft. Benning, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Wainwright, Ft. Richardson, Ft. Sherman (canal zone), Ft Detrick, Walter Reed, and Uniform University of the Health Sciences.

When I was young and immortal, I was tough as woodpecker lips. I tried like hell, and am still disappointed that I was never allowed to go to Ranger school.

In 2011, with 24 years of service, I finally decided to hang up my spurs. Nearly 17 years of active duty, 2 breaks in service, and almost 8 years in the reserves was enough. I joined when Nixon was president and retired when Obama was president.

Defense of our great nation is a young man's game, though, and I'm not young anymore.

I don't know what kind of award would be appropriate for a guy that almost joined...

maybe this one
I shall accept said award and wear it with honor and shame alike :D

I had almost 10 years on active duty, and then took an 8 year break, and got 12 years in with the Idaho Air National Guard. On AD, I was at F.E. Warren, in Cheyenne, Wyo., as well as 3 years at Rhien Mein in Germany, for the desert shield/desert storm tour. Loaded a lot of C-5's, C-141's, and a few C-130's.

Guard time was waaayyyyyy better for me, as I got to go to Saudi Arabia, (2x), Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar, Germany, (4X)TDY on the east coat for school in Georgia, brief tour in Charleston, and Dover, Del.

Retired in October of 12, tried to find a new home and life around Colorado Springs, and didn't get it done. I am now a diesel mechanic for the US Post Office, trying to transfer back to Colorado, as that is where everything I own is.

When I came to NY, I was only supposed to be here a short time, on my way back over seas as a contractor, and I didn't get any of those jobs either!

I really like what I do, I just need to get back out west...My quality of life will be MUCH better, when I am able to enjoy the fruits of my labors!

USAF born and bred, so was wife. I spent 20 years in USN FBM Program C4/D5, TLAM N, 19 strategic disappearances etc. etc. Still doing work as a contractor.

Back