Can I remove the rear window without destroying the gasket?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Well, I have the rear window installed in the Rickster and placed the bedding compound, but I have been unable to get the trim to snap into the clips. I did use the foam tape on the ledge and I wonder if that is lifting the gasket enough to keep the clips from engaging. Also, since I replaced the roof panel and both quarters, I had no studs, and had to drill and install screws to attach the clips. I wonder if they are to tight. Should the clips be screwed snugly to the "wall" or should there be some play in the clips?

I've decided to remove the rear window and reinstall it without the foam tape. What is the best way to remove it? Can I remove it without destroying the gasket, or should I order a new one and just plan on replacing it? Any advice, suggestions, and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am pretty sure that you will end up changing the gasket. Also, if you bought new clips for the rear make sure that they are the correct ones, the front are shorter than the rear if memory serves me correctly. I had ordered new rear clips from NPD and they turned out to be the shorter ones and my trim would not clip back in place either. The ones that I got were labeled as for the rear but were identical to the front ones and shorter than the ones that I took off the rear. I guess I should have test fit the rear trim before putting the window in, live and learn. Good luck.

Tom

As Tom - vintageman - pointed out there is a difference between the front and rear clips. The clips should also fit tight against the body. Removing the foam will not make a difference since the trim really does not go over the window. I would make sure you have the right clips first. If they are then evidently the clips you put in are set to low and may need to be redone. If you go to pull the window, I would order a new gasket to be on the safe side regardless of if I was able to so call save the old one.

I guess I will order get the gasket and more bedding compound on order. It's getting so close to getting on the road (for the first time in who knows how many decades), but the glass (both the door glass and rear window) is driving me nuts. I've lost so much time worrying over it, getting frustrated and having to walk away. If I can just get the rear window and it's trim installed, I will be so relieved. I can just roll down the windows in the doors and not worry about alignment, and at least go for a ride in it, before it gets to cold.

Back