Canton 9 qt RR hitting cross member

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
I'm installing my 408w into the fastback, and the 9 qt oil pan is just barely hitting where the drain plug is. Does anyone have this pan in their 351w or 351w based stroker and show me pictures? There is no way that i would ever be able to change the oil. I'm thinking of cutting a small piece of the cross member to make room for it. But if it's suppose to hang LOWER or farther forward, I would rather try to make adjustments. But the mounts are in and in place. I'm using a stock mount with a 1/2 countersunk bolt in it rather than polys.

Chaz

It actually looks like it has to go backwards even more, for headers to clear drag link and for transmission mount to line up. I guess I have no choice but to clearance the engine cross member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehm.... i´m not a very into structural mods but i think you can modify a little bit the crossmember if you are care enough to do it in a way that the structural function keeps strong as it supposed... Maybe Scott or the other excelent body workers that are arround in the site can help you do this mod propperly...

One thing is important... you MUST change the oil sometime :p je!

I'm telling you I've had to modify damn near everything for anything to work, mostly building this stroker, so whats more modifying? I'll just cut what I have to, and weld back the seams for structural integrity. It's very tedious and is slowly wearing me down.

I think HemiKiller has had some experience with Canton RR pans. Can't remember, but I think he used to be employed with them. Hoping he would chim in..

Chaz

Well, for anyone who was reading, after notching some off the engine cross member, everything fits and seems to be lining up. Not sure if this is unique to me or not, but I haven't read it being a problem with other years. But, since we are the first year of having a cross member that's welded in, maybe that is why there was a great challenge.

Chaz

Back