• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted CJ Torque Converter - FOUND!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odysseus1968

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Torino Cobra 351C-4V/C6 1-of-1
Hello all! Been awhile since I posted anything. I'm trying to source a torque converter for my 351C-4V, C6 combo with the D1ZZ-6375-C flex plate (has the 9.25" bolt circle which is often claimed to be 9.5" bolt circle). I understand this would have been the high-stall TC with part number D2OZ-7902-A. (Many write this as D20Z-7902-a with a zero...) It might've been D1ZZ-7902-A (with 8 mounting studs) also.

Does anyone have a used one that they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance!
Brett

Right on Hemikiller! Thank you for your reply!

Actually, I gave them a call and was told that they don't provide them; they'll only rebuild mine when I send them a core. So, I'm trying to chase down a used TC to send in.

Right on Hemikiller! Thank you for your reply!

Actually, I gave them a call and was told that they don't provide them; they'll only rebuild mine when I send them a core. So, I'm trying to chase down a used TC to send in.
I have the factory cj converter and four bolt flex plate for it. Let me dig it out and get some pictures today.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_184230096_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240408_184230096_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240408_184250952_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240408_184250952_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hello basstrix,
The Ford-rated factory stall speed is 2750-2950 RPMs
My first experience with this type of converter was in a Q code '72 Gran Torino Sport. It made a world of difference in how it launched and drove. Although it was down on power compared to the M code '70 Torino GT I previously owned, it felt better by the "Seat of the Pants" meter. I later installed one in my '71 M code Mach1, which was a major improvement in its performance. The torque converter I pulled from the '71 Mach 1 is the same as used in my parent's '74 LTD brougham with a 400 engine. Ford made a poor choice in using that convertor in any performance vehicle.

You are going to enjoy the difference!

I have two of these, one in each of my '72s. My Q code convertible has one from the factory, and my Mach 1 has one that I bought from my local dealership's parts department in the early1980's. In short, very worth it. Remember, the TC's job is torque multiplication, and these gems do a great job of it. You're basically putting the engine closer to peak torque output than the "standard" 11+" converter does at and before stall RPM. Hence the harder seat-of-pants feel at launch. On the TC is in lockup, the pull you feel is just the engine's power and torque as it would be in a standard transmission application.

Back