Cold Natured

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
We are nearing the final stages of tuning and calibrating my 306 after breaking in the camshaft. I have an Edelbrock air gap intake and the motor is extremely cold natured. For those of you that have a similiar setup are you experiencing the same? It takes probably five minutes to start to get warm. :-/

yep no hot coolant in the manifold makes it cold natured. ive had 428 cj. 302 351c. 390 289, they are all cold natured. the old cars just were even with a choke. chevys no better. i have to say that back in the day hollys ruled. but as of now edelbrock[weber] gets the nod from me. esp on a 351c

My 71 has always been cold natured. It has an edebrock performer intake with an edelbrock electronic carb. Backing out of the garage while it's cold is the worse for stalling, after it's on the road it's fine. It also take about 5 minutes before the gauge even moves

Much of the factory parts have been removed and modified over the years. for example, the shroud around the exhaust that was designed to bring warm air to the air filter, the exhaust crossover in the intake that warmed the intake faster, and the fan clutch, to name a few. Most of that removed in the name of performance. Without it, you get a cold natured engine.

I agree with the crowd. I have a 351C, edelbrock performer intake with a holley carb. My car lives in the garage full time. I don't care what the temp is outside, it always runs much better when I give it a few minutes to warm up.

Much of the factory parts have been removed and modified over the years. for example, the shroud around the exhaust that was designed to bring warm air to the air filter, the exhaust crossover in the intake that warmed the intake faster, and the fan clutch, to name a few. Most of that removed in the name of performance. Without it, you get a cold natured engine.
+1

It's good to let any car warm up before it's driven normally. Drive them easy for the first 5 minutes in the morning or after it's been setting for a few hours then have at it.

Thanks, I'm glad to know it's not just me. This thing takes forever to warm up and idle right.

Bought my Grande from my mechanic. He said when it was cold out

on a long drive he would need to put a piece of cardboard in front

of the radiator just so the cabin could heat up. My Cleveland does not

like cold damp air, it likes warm dry air. Definite difference in performance.

According to what I read in the Ford shop manual, you run the engine at

1600 RPM for 20 minutes. That is what Ford considers warmed up. Of

course that was when gas was 35 cents a gallon.

mike

1600 rpm for 20 minutes? That could be a quarter tank of gas. I can recall letting my 71 Mach (351c M-code) run thru the high idle, middle idle and normal idle back in the 70's when it was 5 - 15 deg F. No operator kick-down required. It would drop down by itself as the choke went through it's cycle. It was usually fully warmed up and idling normally within 5 - 10 minutes. That also meant the heat was flowing which would melt the ice and snow on the windshield. This was when I drove my mustang year-round. They don't handle deep snow or ice very well. I ran studded snow tires on the rear so I would usually get to where I wanted to..

Back