Correct filter height for 71 Mustang w 351C Ram Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
I'm looking at Summit Racings website and I see two heights for the same application. Both are 13.25 diameter but one is 2.188" and the other is 2.875" in height. Which is the correct one for a 1971 Mustang 351c Ram Air?

Thanks.

I'm looking at Summit Racings website and I see two heights for the same application. Both are 13.25 diameter but one is 2.188" and the other is 2.875" in height. Which is the correct one for a 1971 Mustang 351c Ram Air?

Thanks.
I see no one else has replied to this, but I had an idea that might give you the answer. I'm assuming that you have the complete lower shell and cover for your air cleaner and I assume you have the gaskets in place. Now, I do not have ram air, so I'm just trying to figure it out in my head. Attached is a picture of a friends car with ram air. My thought is to use a 'roll' of plastisine, longer than the length you need , place it between the bottom element seat and the cover seat. screw the center wing nut on till it's tight, undo it remove the cover and measure the length of the plastisine roll. That would be the element height you are looking for.

I worked for years building prototype air cleaners, and I often use this method to check clearances.

Hope that helps, just and idea.

Geoff.

4mm, I decided to check a little further to see why Summit was listing two filters for the same application. The 71-72 ram air used the C8AZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA50) which was replaced in 1977 by D7AZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA612-R). Both are 2.8" high. In 1973 Ford changed the ram air filter to the B7SZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA41) which is shorter at 2.1"-2.2" high. The change to the shorter filter may of been due to the 2bl carburation. So even though on most sites you have to input your model year, their systems are not differentiating the two filters Ford used for 71-72 and 73. Hope this has helped a little!

Steve, you have greatly helped me. I truly appreciate everybody's input. Thanks ::thumb::

4mm, I decided to check a little further to see why Summit was listing two filters for the same application. The 71-72 ram air used the C8AZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA50) which was replaced in 1977 by D7AZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA612-R). Both are 2.8" high. In 1973 Ford changed the ram air filter to the B7SZ-9601-A (Motorcraft FA41) which is shorter at 2.1"-2.2" high. The change to the shorter filter may of been due to the 2bl carburation. So even though on most sites you have to input your model year, their systems are not differentiating the two filters Ford used for 71-72 and 73. Hope this has helped a little!
Good info, mine is a 73 so it has the 2.188" filter.

Back