Deluxe Interior Door Panels & Interior Quarter Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convertible - 351 Cobra Jet
[url=https://ibb.co/gme55b][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eydbBG/IMG_6057.jpg[/img][/url]
Hey Y’all,

Is there any way to repair the vinyl on the door panels?  It’s cracked and as we know, tough to find anything original.  One is pretty badly damaged while the other isn’t too bad.

Secondly, as you can see I have a black interior quarter panel while the car is actually a medium blue interior.  Any recommendations for painting?  I’ve used the AccuMatch interior spray paint on a few smaller items to freshen them up (seat hinge covers, etc) but that maybe doesn’t seem the way to go on something sizable?

Very much out of my league on the interior....

Thanks,

Sean

3BEF444C-660A-4A8A-B1E5-E32ABBF4CD77.jpeg

09F2DB00-993D-4BF3-8010-90EFFBF4EDB0.jpeg

F10C500D-CC14-403D-B0A5-9A9C4C5986BF.jpeg

You can pay someone to vinyl wrap them. What I did was sand the area down for prep and added a few layers of  Jb Weld and then sand it until it’s smooth. Then ordered paint from cjpony that matched and painted it. Looks good as new imo. 

51912AB9-F732-4AF4-AA42-497A9F537334.jpeg

That is a nice looking repair job! To the OP, I've found that the SEM paints seem to be a good color match. It was anyway, for the white interior that I have. You may want to use their vinyl prep before painting.

I get my paint from NPD and for hard ABS plastic i use the lacquer. You do need to give really good scrubbing with dawn dish washing and hot water then lacquer thinner. When you start spraying if you get fish eyes stop and clean more. two light even coats so you don't fill up the texture. I did these recently and the color match was perfect for the ginger I was doing.
On finding door panels keep an eye out for crashed mustangs on the insurance yards. I got perfect Ginger interior that way.
Part of that panel that is behind the seat was not sprayed and you can see matches perfect.
There is a place in California I think that will rebuild door panels and dashes forget their name. Very expensive.

20200703_185013.jpg

20200703_185130.jpg

20200703_185222.jpg

20200703_185234.jpg

I get my paint from NPD and for hard ABS plastic i use the lacquer. You do need to give really good scrubbing with dawn dish washing and hot water then lacquer thinner. When you start spraying if you get fish eyes stop and clean more. two light even coats so you don't fill up the texture. I did these recently and the color match was perfect for the ginger I was doing.
On finding door panels keep an eye out for crashed mustangs on the insurance yards. I got perfect Ginger interior that way.
Part of that panel that is behind the seat was not sprayed and you can see matches perfect.
There is a place in California I think that will rebuild door panels and dashes forget their name. Very expensive.

View attachment 48112

View attachment 48113

View attachment 48114

View attachment 48115
Ya I did the same for mine too. Turned out great !!

You can pay someone to vinyl wrap them. What I did was sand the area down for prep and added a few layers of  Jb Weld and then sand it until it’s smooth. Then ordered paint from cjpony that matched and painted it. Looks good as new imo. 

View attachment 48105
Thanks for this, I think I can handle that repair.  This is just a straight JB Weld Epoxy that you're applying?

View attachment 48112

View attachment 48113

View attachment 48114

View attachment 48115
Beautiful work, thank you for the info Sir!

Thanks for this, I think I can handle that repair.  This is just a straight JB Weld Epoxy that you're applying?
Yes I used a sander with 100 grit to sand off any bubbling or high spots. After I Added 2-4 coats of jb weld. Sanded with 200 then 400. That was it. Fairly easy tbh 

Back