Differential temps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Dear awesome 7173 forum peeps

I drove my piece of loveliness to the Feckenham show yesterday 

On driving back (35 miles), close to the end of the journey I got a rattle from the Exhaust straps with those stupid metal rings on causing a clinking sound ...arrrrgh 

As I was messing around underneath I almost burnt myself on this huge, black bulbous thing that looks like Darth Vader's nut sack, stuck between the two wheels. 

Is it supposed to be that hot?

Plz could some ex-spurts help a complete numpty  :-/  

all the best 

much appreciated 

Al    :chin:

Two questions...

1 - How do you know what Darth Vader's nut sack looks like

2 - Why were you messing around under there ... this could cause problems with Mrs Vader... You think Darth has a temper :whistling:

Yes the center section will get hot, but you probably should check the fluid level.

There is a plug in the side of the housing... nut sack lube should be right to the top of that opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go buy an infrared thermometer.

You’ll find yourself taking the temperature of all kinds of things.

The rear end can get pretty warm on a drive. I’d say it shouldn’t get any hotter than 100 degrees Fahrenheit above ambient temperature - in a car. Keep it in mind that 100 degrees is a wild guess. Obviously heat depends on friction, When the ring and pinion themselves are wore out along with the bearings that can cause more friction. Also when the setup is brand new, with new bearings that have been preloaded to specification can cause more friction until the break in- along with a new ring and pinion..

Back