distributor calibrating

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I ordered a Duraspark dizzy from Summit, and nowhere on their order page can I specify which timing settings I want. The armature arms are 16L and 21L, this is going to be too much timing isn't it? My question is how do I change it? My car has the 10L, 13L in it now but it is a points/pertronix dizzy. Can these parts be interchanged? Anybody know what my options are?

Those parts are interchangeable, I would use the 13L slot. This will give you 26 degrees of mechanical timing. I would also order the mr gasket spring kit (part number 925D) and if memory serve me remove the heavy spring from your distributor and replace it with one of the springs from the kit. Set you initial (base) timing to 10-12 degrees, that along with the 26 degrees will give you a mechanical advance total of 36-38 degrees of total timing. Your car will run nice with those settings. After you get that part lined out we can help you dial in your vacuum advance. Good luck.

How do you get the armatures out?? Does the cam gear have to come off?

I'd use the 10L slot and 16 initial for a total of 36 mechanical to start with. Just an opinion. The link TommyK posted is a great resource, as is the business that put it up. Thanks, Tommy.

Back