E-Bay NOS OEM Ford 1971 1972 1973 Mustang Ram Air NASA Hood Sheet Metal Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this on eBay for two years. Guys with a boss looking for a date code correct hood will not buy this. He is just fishing for the big check book build guy again.
I once sold a 69 NOS antenna still in the paper bag Ford used to ship them in the trunk for the dealer to install for $800. Sold it to a to guy restoring a Boss 429. He wanted the paper bag!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen this on eBay for two years. Guys with a boss looking for a date code correct hood will not buy this. He is just fishing for the big check book build guy again.
I once sold a 69 NOS antenna still in the paper bag Ford used to ship them in the trunk for the dealer to install for $800. Sold it to a to guy restoring a Boss 429. He wanted the paper bag!
rackerm,

I am not surprised. The bag would at least prove Genuine Ford part.

mustang7173

If you are thinking about converting to ram air and are looking at a reproduction hood, this can be worth the money. Fit will be much better than repop parts and you won't spend near as much labor getting the repop to fit.

I beg to differ. I had an original hood rust free but wavy for some reason. Perhaps when it was stripped by the previous owner they overheated it. Anyway, with skeptism I bought a repro hood. The damn thing fit perfectly! There is no difference except it was not wavy. The contour also matches perfectly

I worked in a stamping plant that supplied Ford for probably a dozen different models. Also BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes. Pretty much all service parts were rejects from production until the model went out of production they you would put the tools outside in the rain and snow with a coating of grease on them. When the customer wanted parts you got what raw material you could, maybe not the right material, half way cleaned the dies and you made a few hundred parts and shipped them. Most had defects.

Front end parts stayed in service longer than others like floor pans. Front end crashes were common but who changed a floor pan in a crash. Maybe cut a piece off or something but not the whole pan the car would be totaled.

I should have kept some of the official Ford "Prototype" tags to put on stuff and put on eBay, lol. We tossed some of the motor trend car of the year awards that Ford would send since we supplied that model. I be they would bring some cash. We got the Henry Ford award for Innovation on one of my projects. It got thrown out when we parted ways with Ford. We were deemed to be too small of a supplier even thought we were number one or number two on their supplier quality every year.

Some of you young guys should go out and find suppliers and get into their scrap and put it in the barn for retirement funds, lol. Just think what it would take to do a ground up restore on one of these new Mustangs. I will never happen too expensive.

Back