EGR valve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Have a 73 Mustang 351C 2v that I am having the carburetor rebuilt for. In cleaning up the intake, EGR, And EGR spacer I noticed that the EGR spacer/bracket is pretty rough and may need to be replaced. The passageway in the intake manifold was clogged with carbon etc. I was able to clear that, I assume that is where the exhaust gases come up from the exhaust manifold and get routed thru the EGR valve. I am haivng trouble locating the EGR spacer. Question ... can I just do away with the EGR valve and spacer ? What would I have to do and how would this effect the operation ? Thanks

You can remove it, it will run the same way it did with the exhaust passages plugged. However, your state's smog inspection may not allow it.

If you want to keep it one of these plus a new valve should work:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=edl-8057
Hello,

No state inspection to worry about .... if I remove the egr and egr spacer would I just bolt the carb back down to the intake manifold with the .5 inch spacer,(made of a black rubber/fiber) that was originally between the egr spacer and carb ? I would just plug up the vacumn line for the EGR valve. Would I have to do anything with the port that allows exhaust gas into the intake manifold ? Thanks

Bringing back some memories for me.

I was 13 in 73 working in the garage with my father and when we got a new car

the first things in the S-Can were the smog air pump/related lines and the EGR Valve LOL.

The air pump didn't hurt performance other than stealing HP for turning it however

putting exhaust gas into the intake charge is a really lame idea!

The vendors that were making EGR block-off plates really made a killing!

Paul

I don't believe the spacer you have will cover the exhaust port. You may have to fabricate a blockoff plate. In any case, I would want a metal spacer covering the exhaust port. Yes, just remove, cap, or plug the vacuum line.

Back