Emergency brake handle (plastic)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the plastic handle on the emergency brake pull rod? Mine broke as I attempted to release the brake at the show Saturday. So now all I have is the round part surrounding the rod. I have a billet replacement but didn't want to destroy the rod trying to remove what's left of the old one.

I just put a vise grip on what was left of my plastic knob and it threaded right off, and I threaded on the new metal knob.
Well as usual this didn't work. It did turn but that was all it would do is spin. So I guess I will revert to the brute force method. It will come off or else. I hear Wilwood is now making a caliper with an electric emergency brake incorporated into caliper. I may look into that in the future.

If the knob rests are turning . I’d use a heat gun ( protect the surroundings well, remove the plastic cover behind). When hot use pliers or vice grip and press it all around. When cool the plastic will then match the threads again. Repeat with the vise grip, turning slowly while pulling.
Another option is to dremel it open.

Well as expected an early 71 pull rod is not threaded. So my two options at this point is to try to thread the rod to 1/4-20 like the new handle or drill out the handle and put set screws in it. Think I will see if it will thread first.

Attachments

• PXL_20240820_191842744~2.jpg
    PXL_20240820_191842744~2.jpg
    909.8 KB
  • PXL_20240820_191842744.jpg
    PXL_20240820_191842744.jpg
    2 MB
Back