Can't Remove Caliper From Front Disc Brake Rotor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its sold in harbor freight and oreiley auto parts stores here. It really is amazing stuff. I've had bolts that were rusted so bad they needed penetrating oil to get loose. Soak them in evaporust and they look brand new the next day. No scrubbing. I just wipe them off with blue paper towells.
That's actually great to see with the brake parts. I originally had planned on doing a disc swap for the rears mostly because I wanted to avoid buying "repliparts" because cleaning that stuff was tedious. This is actually a great way I can just rebuild the original parts. There are also a couple areas that are more difficult to reach or use the blaster so, I'll pick some up next time I'm out.

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. After not budging the caliper by spraying on Kroil and waiting a day, then Krud Kutter (The Must For Rust) and waiting a few days, then using a C clamp to depress the caliper, I finally gave up and resorted to violence. I used a large screwdriver, a breaker bar and a dead blow hammer. After about 15 minutes of slamming, it finally came off!

I soaked the caliper in Evaporust (never used it before) and it cleaned up nice for now. I emptied the rest of the brake fluid in the caliper and sprayed Kroil inside of it hoping this will free up the piston. Will be using my compressor and an air gun to try and blow out the piston later today after I let it soak overnight. Saw this video on WCCC that gave me the idea:

Will let everyone know how I make out.

Front Caliper.jpg

The caliper seal is between the "O" ring and the piston so both should be replaced during a rebuild. Pay particular attention to cleaning the "O" ring groove or it will be very difficult to re-install the piston. You might also consider replacing the bleeder valves. I believe Rock Auto/Dorman has them.

The caliper seal is between the "O" ring and the piston so both should be replaced during a rebuild. Pay particular attention to cleaning the "O" ring groove or it will be very difficult to re-install the piston. You might also consider replacing the bleeder valves. I believe Rock Auto/Dorman has them.
Thanks 351c1971. I figured i would need to replace all of the seals and probably the piston.

If you have some extra energy, you can shoot some Rust-Oleum Silver High Temperature Paint on the calipers. It sells for around $7.00 at Home Depot and is good for 1200 degrees F. Be sure to wire brush them and remove all grease and oil before painting.
1726245776441.png1726245776441.png

Back