Engine is out!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Finally! We got the old I6-250 out to make room for the new 306! Here's a few photos of the car and the garage. The only bad thing is the big rust hole we found in the drivers side spring housing! Gonna need some ideas on how to fix that! Otherwise, everything is looking good!

38e8b786.jpg

76d5f2f6.jpg

d31e916c.jpg

a9369f6c.jpg

4a2baec6.jpg

fe13b9c2.jpg

242389db.jpg

Here's a pic of the other half of RocketFoot Restorations! LOL...My Dad! This is probably well over 100 engines he has removed in his life!

558922a7.jpg

7a5e1438.jpg

cb49f002.jpg

be42291e.jpg

We have most of the parts...just need the time to get 'er done!

Anyone have a lead on spring housings? :-/

Yeah, the apron that covers the coil spring in the engine bay...mine has a big 'ole rust hole right above the steering gear. We're probably going to have to mig weld a patch on it, I haven't seen any replacement parts.

Is this it from OMS

Inventory currently out of stock, please check back soon or call for more information. Item #M425R

71-73 OUTER SHOCK TOWER COVER, RH

Right hand outer shock tower bracket. 16 gauge die-stamped with 14 gauge inner support welded in place.

Is this it from OMS

Inventory currently out of stock, please check back soon or call for more information. Item #M425R

Right hand outer shock tower bracket. 16 gauge die-stamped with 14 gauge inner support welded in place.
I think that is the outside cover...I need the inside part but I doubt that it is available...it looks like a structural piece and even has the engine cross member attached to it. I foresee some creative welding in our future! LOL

Is this it from OMS

I think that is the outside cover...I need the inside part but I doubt that it is available...it looks like a structural piece and even has the engine cross member attached to it. I foresee some creative welding in our future! LOL
Don probably has what you need. I think he has most every mustang that is now missing

You'll have to get some from a salvage yard or talk with Don. They have the 'shock towers' for just about every other model year before ours.

Mine are shot out on both sides of the structural portion, as well as my cross-member is toast, along with the left front subframe itself. I was lucky enough to find a car in a local yard that will replace pretty much everything from the torque boxes forward... providing the yard guys didn't just cut it off at the firewall, that is.

I honestly think that your problem is not structural in nature, and you should be able to fabricate a patch to repair the bad section - the center portion that mates up to the cross-member is the critical part to structural integrity. An English Wheel would make short work of the contours, but I'm pretty sure a suitable patch could be done with simple hand-tools if you're not too picky about contour perfection.

Good luck with it!

well having gone through this,, REALLY check those rails. there is a good chance you can patch the towers, but you need to cut out the area and check the top and back side of the rail in that area for any pin holes. patching that large an area will most likely get you into the upper suspension mount.

there is a re-enforcement in the shock tower that ties into the upper suspension/spring perch.

If you don't have to touch that you might be able to get away with cutting the spot welds from behind then cut out the cancer as far down as you can go.

its not going to be easy because the engine cradle is in the way. you want solid welds in that area.

I know my friend that does metal work would say he wants to pull all the spot welds and drop out the engine cradle out of the way and get the lower shock towers exposed to the spot welds that attach it to the rails, then decide if he should just patch it. after he did that, he would cut a window from the rusted out area to expose the back side of the rails, if he sees any softness, he would measure and pull the tower out, then as long as the rust was limited on the rail he would patch the rail and then graft in a new lower shock section from a donor with the shock tower off the car, then put it all back together.

also now your getting into the Grey area in these cars because the VIN is attached to the shock towers.

the problem is most donor cars are going to have the same problem, so now your talking about fabrication. i don't know if anybody every took a 1970 shock tower and really looked at it to see what could be done. I wish dynacorn would reproduce them 71-73 , i ended up getting the front clip from a 73 convertible and grafting it onto the car.

The frame looks good as far as I can poke around and see...but anything is possible! We'll know more once we get it outside and pressure wash the crap out of it!

I wish dynacorn would reproduce them 71-73 , i ended up getting the front clip from a 73 convertible and grafting it onto the car.
W3rd, Brutha! My project would be moving a lot faster if I could've just ordered some of the things I need for my front clip restoration. I'll be needing some fabrication and/or grafting with my cowl as well, which doesn't seem to be a problem for earlier models either.

Oh well - just makes it all that much sweeter when it's done, knowing we did it the hard way and won. :D

(Wow! That just happened... I'm a poet, and didn't know it!)

Back