Engine + Interior Ideal Paint Process

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c 4 speed
Howdy,

I am getting pretty close to finishing up all metal work within the engine bay as well as the interior and I am trying to plan ahead for paint. Although I repaired a lot of holes and missing metal, the remaining metal is mostly rusted on the surface and I am just trying to figure out the best solution. For the engine bay my current idea is to wire wheel most of it and then use OSPHO on the rest. After I will use eastwood black epoxy primer and then top coat with eastwood 2k ceramic chassis black, and then a similar procress for the interior. I am going for durability and longevity over correctness or looks. Other things I thought of was skipping OSPHO and going with rust encapsulater and top coating with chassis black. Or even just skipping eastwoods line and just using SPI epoxy primer after OSPHO. Or even just rattle canning, I just worry the rust will come back which is what I am currently fighting, I also own a 60 gal air compressor that I would prefer to use since I have it. Finally, it is currently winter and snowing, should I wait until spring to shoot or would a 100 some thousand BTU diesel heater be enough to not worry.

Looking for any input you guys have, Thanks.

Good call on the Eastwood products. I did my engine bay with Eastwood 2k ceramic, but if I remember, it was called under hood black, not chassis black, which is also available. This was done back in 2016 and is standing up very well. It does have some texture, but I've not found that a problem when cleaning. I'm not sure on the rust products you mention as they're not available (to my knowledge) in Canada. I used a Canadian rust check product on any rust, which was surface only, but a good rust converter should work just fine, just make sure it has cured and dry before any paint products.
The engine I did with Dulicolor Ford Dark Blue #1606. Buy an extra can of the SAME lot number!! Even with Duplicolor, I found a slight difference between batches.
Here's a pic of my engine bay from 2016

Attachments

• IMG_0657 (3).JPG
    IMG_0657 (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0656 (2).JPG
    IMG_0656 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Good call on the Eastwood products. I did my engine bay with Eastwood 2k ceramic, but if I remember, it was called under hood black, not chassis black, which is also available. This was done back in 2016 and is standing up very well. It does have some texture, but I've not found that a problem when cleaning. I'm not sure on the rust products you mention as they're not available (to my knowledge) in Canada. I used a Canadian rust check product on any rust, which was surface only, but a good rust converter should work just fine, just make sure it has cured and dry before any paint products.
The engine I did with Dulicolor Ford Dark Blue #1606. Buy an extra can of the SAME lot number!! Even with Duplicolor, I found a slight difference between batches.
Nice job!

If you want to paint it once and be done with it use POR15. They have an excellent line of paints for cars that will form an armour coating around whatever you paint. You need to use a 4 step process after you have all the rust off and repairs completed; 1.Use their degreaser to thoroughly clean the surface and remove all grease that prevents paint from adhering 2.Use their surface prep to prepare the surface for the rust prevention paint 3.Paint with the rust prevention paint primer. They say to add a second coat but I don't, this stuff is pretty thick 4.Before each layer dries you need to add the next layer so don't start the primer until you can finish the top coat.
I used POR15 on my undercarriage and instead of top coat I finished it with rock guard undercoating. I wish someone had been so thoughtful when my car was originally purchased because this system is awesome. The undercoating is applied with a spray can and man that stuff looks great. You can alter the amount of texture by adjusting the distance from the surface you are spraying onto. This stuff is an absolute MUST for wheel wells!! My car has the rear end out right now so I can't get pictures but when I have a chance later I will get some.
I am toying with the idea of using the POR15 clear topcoat as a primer on the rear end since I have it all stripped down to the metal and it looks pretty wild.

Back