FAUX TAIL PANEL MLDGS RESTORATION

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
I did a bit of experiment on the rear tail panel mldgs since the one's i have were good except for a bunch of pitting & a few dents..Someone posted up here how they used alum tape to fix up the chrome trim on a center dash piece..So here it is..A cheap fix...1--I used fine finishing auto body putty to smooth out the dents & pitting..sanded with 180...2--primed then scuffed with gray scotch brite--painted with rustoleum satin black..3---cut a smooth strip of alum tape--4--wrapped upper part of mldg with tape--5--polished alum tape with metal polish (same as the one in the tail lamp vid) I think they turned out pretty darn good & I saved a bunch of coin by not having to replace them (for now)

100_2241.JPG100_2242.JPG100_2244.JPG100_2246.JPG100_2247.JPG100_2251.JPG100_2253.JPG

That looks darn good!!!
I can't believe myself how good it came out:)..I wasn't expecting much, but said hey it's worth a shot..Goes to show ya never know till you try! I think the key too is having a nice smooth finish to apply the tape to..I tried it first with just cleaning up the mldg & you could see every little imperfection

Last edited by a moderator:
Verry nice work !! , is this real aluminum ??

Wow that came great.
Thanks M !

That looks REAL nice Q. I did not realize the 71, 72 (i am assuming) strips have a blackout on the trim. On my 73 they are all bright.
Thanks J..I think the black out is part of the mach 1 trim..But my car is a 72 Mach 1

How well does the aluminum tape stick? Will it start peeling off if it gets heated up from sunlight?
The tape sticks unbelievable !! heat makes it stick even stronger..There is no way it's going to unpeel

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back