fitting a 351 to a Mustang convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastfairlane

Reaction score
My Car
My daily 1998 Fairmont l6ohc sedan
Wifes daily 2003 Fairmont Ghia l6 twin cam sedan
Toys 66Thunderbird hard top still LHD and 72 Mustang convertible RHD for Australian conditions also makes it a bit easier to drive on OZ roads
Hi all

Can someone help

Ive got a 72 Mustang convertible

its fitted with a 250ci six cylinder and C4 auto

Ive bought a 351 and FMX

does anyone know if the 351 will fit the six cylinder mounts

or do I have to adapt the engine mounts to suit

also will the FMX fit the C4 cross member

and last will the tail shaft fit

is the spline the same

and is the length the same

PS the 351 came out of an F100

and My car has an 8 inch diff by the look of it

thanks John

Never trust a dog to hold a sandwich for you

thanks John

No, the v8 mounts are different, from what I remember. The v8 mounts are flat and have the thru bolt holding them to the lower mount. The fmx should fit the crossmember OK, you can also use the c4 behind the 351, it should be the same bellhousing in that year. i believe the spline and length is the same, as long as your donor came from a Mustang also.

(I just looked up at your message and see that the donor is an F100. You might be better off keeping the C4 as the shifter arm is different and the tailshaft might be longer.

All the cars had 5 lug and 8 inch diff. as standard equipment in 71-73.

Of course, after 39 years and other people owning the car before you, anything could be different. Best of luck to you.

You will need to get a set of 302/351 V-8 frame mounts from a convertible, the front frame is different. You -might- be able to use the hardtop/sportsroof, I do not know what is really different on a the vert...

The FMX will NOT fit the C-4 trans x-member. You need the FMX/C-6 3-leg member. You can use the C-4, but the I-6 version of this trans will need a little beefing up to survive behind a 351 for any length of time if you drive it hard. You will also need to swap the shifter arm on the trans, F100 is a column shift, plus the rod to the shifter.

If you use the FMX you will also need the 31 spline yoke for the d-shaft, the C-4 has a 28 spline.

Hi all

thanks for your help

using my C4 with the 351 sounds the best option

that hopefully will sort out the tail shaft length

Im not into drag racing at the lights so the strength

shouldnt matter that much

the F100 is from the eighties not to sure but maybe 84

Ford used to build F100s here in Brisbane along with

Fairlanes and Falcon utes but closed

the factory down a few years back

every thing is built down in Melbourne now

there are not to many Mustangs here in OZ to chose from

for parts is there a difference between a convertible

and a fast back or hard top in the engine mounts

thanks again John

I've always been under the impression the 351c frame mounts are unique for the convertible. Your best bet may be an aftermarket adjustable mount if you can't find a set of convertible 351c mounts.

i can take pictures of my 73 convertible engine mounts, may be a week or so before I can go visit it.

I know it is different down there but in the USA if you pulled a 351 from a 84 f100 it would be the 351M not a Cleveland. That means the larger bell housing for the transmission and some parts incompatibility.

i can take pictures of my 73 convertible engine mounts, may be a week or so before I can go visit it.

I know it is different down there but in the USA if you pulled a 351 from a 84 f100 it would be the 351M not a Cleveland. That means the larger bell housing for the transmission and some parts incompatibility.
351C mounts in the 73 are different still, as Ford switched to a captured style mount to address the failure issues. The combination frame stand and engine mount should work if used as a set though...

The 351M ended production in 1982. I'm assuming he has an Aussie 351C since they were produced until 1985, which would allow him to use the I-6 C-4 as is.

Back