gasket question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Howdy,

I got this 4 bbl carb spacer (phenolic) from Edelbrock to go in between my 1406 carb that sits on top of the performer lb351-2v manifold. Now that I opened the package I realize there are no gaskets included.

What gaskets should I use? In particular between the spacer and manifold. The reason I'm asking is coz the manifold has 2 rectangular openings and all the gaskets I'm finding are either 4bbl or just one big square opening.

Does it matter which one I pick?

Cheers,

Vincent.

Howdy,

I got this 4 bbl carb spacer (phenolic) from Edelbrock to go in between my 1406 carb that sits on top of the performer lb351-2v manifold. Now that I opened the package I realize there are no gaskets included.

What gaskets should I use? In particular between the spacer and manifold. The reason I'm asking is coz the manifold has 2 rectangular openings and all the gaskets I'm finding are either 4bbl or just one big square opening.

Cheers,

Vincent.
Yes. From what you describe it is a dual plane and you need to keep

them seperate. The 4 barrel should be fine. If I am wrong you will soon get plenty of advice.

mike

Howdy,

Cheers,

Vincent.
Is the phenolic spacer four hole or what?

1406 looks like a spread bore.....I thought the performer intakes were two rectangular openings at the carb?

The spacer has 4 holes just like the 1406.

I was wondering about keeping the dual planes separate but I'll do that and order 4bbl gaskets if I cant find dual plane ones.

Thanks!

Vinnie,

Can you provide a part number of the spacer?

One I saw was 8722

33m8mf8.jpg

2a82c07.jpg

f40gud.jpg

mustang7173

I would do a four hole between the carb and the spacer, them a one big open between the spacer and the manifold.

*******IMPORTANT**********

Make sure the throttle opens and closes smoothly, then torque the bolts in a cris cross pattern. Then verify the throttle opens and closes smoothly again.

I would do a four hole between the carb and the spacer, them a one big open between the spacer and the manifold.

*******IMPORTANT**********

Make sure the throttle opens and closes smoothly, then torque the bolts in a criss cross pattern. Then verify the throttle opens and closes smoothly again.
what he said

Vinnie,

Since you have a Spread Bore Carb, you may want to look into this spacer, 8726.

2db017l.jpg

Per rcadd1ct comments, you will need to check the throttle plates for clearance.

mustang7173 :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 1406 the diff between primary and secundary is not this much. Infact I'd say they are almost equal in size so that gasket won't fit...

as long as it bolts up.....

Main concerns are:

It sealing well

The gasket being supported so it does not get ingested by the engine

Not interfering with throttle operation

Since you are basically stacking gaskets, not to warp or break the carb ears by over torqueing the hardware.

Back