Gauge cluster lens

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72cj351

Reaction score
My Car
2F05Q197902
Bright blue met.
Blue vinyl
4-speed
3.25 axle
How big a job is it to change the gauge cluster lens

image.jpg

It's not that big of a job. Just take out the cluster and then there are about six pins that hold it on. The gauge cluster is about 30minute job to remove. Should take off the steering wheel too. Just take your time. I did it recently but just polished the existing lens with this Meguiars polish I got out of the NPD catalog. Worked pretty well.

I tried taking mine out but that speedometer cable is a pain in the butt. I gave up for fear of breaking it to get it disconnected.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

It's not hard. I know because I was able to pull it off, so...

It can be done with the cluster in the car. If you really have to remove the cluster for some reason, try loosening the two screws on the bottom of the steering column, so that it drops down a little. Don't unscrew them completely, just a little. That should give you enough wiggle room to remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel.

(Don't forget to tighten them after you're done!!)

Tommy and Mike are right

Change the lens with the cluster in place

Do you have the trip odometer or a clock? Those lenses are not reproduced but you can take a flat lens and modify it if necessary. If you need it, I'll post the link for replacing the lens with a trip odometer. The clock is probably similar.

Good luck, a clear lens makes a huge difference. If you do take out the cluster, consider replacing the bulbs with LEDs while it is out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a new lens, but I ended up polishing my existing one because modifying the new one for the odometer looked to be a pretty large PITA.

How big a job is it to change the gauge cluster lens
Looks like your first post here so Welcome to the Site! ::welcome::

You may want to post an introduction thread here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-introductions

Nice looking stang, are those Keystone Klassic wheels?

I've done mine and it can be replaced without removing the cluster; but it may be a good time to remove the whole cluster and replace bulbs.

It's not a big job. I've done it more times than I'd like to admit. It would be easier to take the cluster out. While you have it out you can do some clean up work. If you have a tilt wheel you won't need to remove the steering wheel. Post more pictures of that sweet car. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back