gearbox malfunction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmatt

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 302 c4 2nd owner i bought it in 92 and have managed to keep it on the road since then through thick and thin drove 1000 miles into france back in september nerver missed a beat and the fuel pump quite liked it as well!! keeping the faith and the throttle in cheers mickmatt
hello everybody i am after some advice suggestions please o.k what happened yesterday nice day checked levels etc went for a drive about an hour everything aok normal temps and pressures no noises clunks whirrs ginds from g box got home unable to park as no reverse in fact the selector would not move into n r or park would go down to 2 and 1 ok so into top of selector and the detent spring is ok so underneath we go disconnect steering /park lock out linkage still no movement under again and disconnect selector to g/box linkage ok the selector is obviously now ok full movement underneath i only have 2 positions on the linkage on side of the g/box i am thinking that the shaft into box has come apart any knowledge /suggestions please feel free thankyou mickmatt p.s i will give you a few hours as i will be down the pub by the time America wakes up sorry 302 with bog standard c4 with 130,000 miles on it

If all the linage is intact and free I would pull the pan and see if the selector inside is still intact. Maybe I missed it but disconnect your shifter linkage and make sure you can still move the selector to each location.

follow on from yesterdays post this am while you were all in bed dropped trans pan and valve body and found that the intermediate brake band had let go just like that no undue noises or other symtoms so rebuild time beckons cheers mickmatt

Back