glasspacks with mufflers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
Has anyone used a glass pack with a standard muffler to quiet your engine down without affecting flow? I use to have resonators on my '68 coupe mounted before my mufflers. I can't seem to decide on a stroked Cleveland or a 460 based motor for my '73 Mach-1. However, I would like to take advantage of the added displacement. Since this is a daily driver and have my wife and 2 year old in my cars, I would like to quiet them down a bit without affecting flow (too much). I am thinking that using a magnaflow glass pack and muffler should take the edge off (sound wise). Any ideas?

Mike

I used 12" glasspacks as resonators on a previous car I had and they worked just fine. The exhaust note was tamer under normal driving conditions but full throttle sound wasn't affected much. The car felt torquier but lost a little bit up top as to be expected.

Thanks.. what motor did you have? I'm not too worried about losing a little bit on the top end. Anything I build will be for bottom end and mid range..

It works. It does affect flow.

If I have room I think the best approach is to run the biggest straight through muffler you can find that fits and flows enough for the engine and then run a size or 2 smaller tailpipes. The smaller tailpipes will further attenuate noise and still flow more than the mufflers. Make sure that any tailpipes exit out the back rather than turn down. That makes a big difference in cabin volume. I'd only run glass packs or resonators if you have a problem with droning.

Back