Heat and AC system

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LePetiteMort

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Fastback w/351 Cleveland
Hello,

I have a bit of a topic that I am trying to tackle. So the heat in my 73 mustang (that I purchased in October) went out a couple months ago. I finally got around to removing the heater box yesterday and found part of the problem. A wonderful family of mice had decided to make a wonderful home in the heater box.

The box itself was destroyed and the heater core was heavily rusted. So I am having to replace both. One of the vacuum motors/pumps was seized up really bad and another one had it's arm broken. It got me wondering if there was maybe a kit or possible option to upgrade the system to a more modern heat/cooling system? Does anyone have any experience with this by chance?

I am doing a restomod on this so keeping originality on the system isn't a large priority. I would like to get it to be able to be a daily driver if possible. And thus would like to update the interior systems to allow for those creature comforts that would be desirable in a more modern car. So I was thinking maybe just upgrading the heat/ac to a modern electrical system might be better and a little easier if maybe someone makes a kit for it that would be perfect.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

I just redid my a/c heater box and heater core. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with a sure fit classic air system.
Good luck!
Make sure you keep your old blower motor and squirrel cage!! The motors on the market now are the heater only type and have a much lower RPM. I got some pushback from CAA on this. That kid I talked to knew better than I did about that and insisted that it was the correct motor. Anyway, On high speed they barely move any air at all. I didn’t know this and discarded the old motor. Dealing with that was nightmarish. I was able to buy the correct A/C/Heater blower motor on eBay but I had to service it because it was near locked up. Also the correct squirrel cage is unavailable new repro for some reason.

Bobby, thank you for the information! I didn’t know that. It makes sense due to the restrictions the evaporator coil will cause. I lucked out and my blower seams fine other that blowing out 50 years of dirt build up.

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to thank you so much for the help and responses. I will try to utilize the search feature more in depth in the future to avoid duplicate posting. Thank you.

Back