Heater Hose Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande, 351C
I know this has come up before but I've searched through previous threads and can't seem to find a definitive answer on which heater hose goes where. One says it doesn't matter, while others contradict one another. The diagram I see posted isn't clear as the two lines run on top of each other and I lose which one is which. There is a really nice photo of the two hoses in one post but the middle part is cut off at the bottom of the pic. I have a 351c with air. The engine had been messed with plenty from the PO. I have a photo of the hoses before I took them off and it shows the inboard connection at the firewall leads to the connection on the water pump and also has the control valve in it while the outboard hose goes into the block. I'm not so certain that this is correct. Before I fill it with antifreeze, and fire it up, I'd like to be sure of this arrangement. Thanks to anyone that has this nailed down and can relay this to me.
Heater Hoses.jpgHeater Hose.jpg

The block fitting is the outlet to the heater core. The inner tube, closest to the block, is the inlet to the core. To be correct, you simply need to swap the hoses at the front of the engine.

The block fitting is the outlet to the heater core. The inner tube, closest to the block, is the inlet to the core. To be correct, you simply need to swap the hoses at the front of the engine.
Hemi, If I’m understanding your response correctly, the outboard firewall hose is the outlet FROM the heater core going TO the block?

Hemi, If I’m understanding your response correctly, the outboard firewall hose is the outlet FROM the heater core going TO the block?

On the 351C, the block fitting is the outlet, which goes to the innermost tube on the heater core. This is also the hose that should have the flow control valve on AC cars. The heater core outermost tube is the outlet, and that connects to the inlet fitting on the water pump. The water pump fitting is on the suction side of the impeller, same as the lower radiator hose.

Back