Help Needed with Carburetor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardillim

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 429 CJ 4spd a/c Green and Silver
I just bought a 1971 Boss 429 Mach 1 (4spd a/c car ) Currently it has an aftermarket Holley Carburetor I am trying to figure out which carburetor this engine came with. What really confuses me is that the fuel line that feeds the carburetor comes up the front of the engine on the driver's side and the then runs along the intake manifold on the driver's side to the rear of the engine. This would indicate that the correct carburetor would have been fed from the rear. So far I Have not found a carburetor with a rear feed. Could anyone tell me what the correct carburetor is ? and explain the fuel line location.

Thanks

Mike

Never seen a fuel line with this configuration for this engine.. I believe it's homemade...

Never seen a fuel line with this configuration for this engine.. I believe it's homemade...
+1

If you look at the pics for the carb and fuel system in the link I provided you will see that the fuel line attaches to a filter on the driver's side of the primary bowl and that there is a cross over tube on the passenger side to feed the secondary bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you mentioned that your car has AC that rules out the SCJ (and the factory Holly) option. The CJ engines used a 715 CFM Rochestor carburetor. The production installed listing for your car would be DOOZ-9510-F (Tag #DOOF-F) and should have a GM# on the carb body similar to (7040285) The fuel inlet line ran to the front of that carburetor. If your not worried about having a concours correct "Show" car, then the Holly carb would probably work for you. A lot of my Gm buddies switched their big block Chevell's to the Holly Quadrajet replacement. A correct Q/Jet replacement would also probably be very expensive (ask Pastel Blue). If you do decide to go with an original carburetor you may find the (DOOF-B) being offered as it was the Ford service replacement for all the Rochestors used on the 429 Mustang's and Torino's. Hope this has helped some!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back