Idle's good...runs like crap!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry, could also be

1- sending unit filter as many of these cars have rust inside of the tanks

Since you have a carb swap it

Stick in a clear filter

Personally I think it is number 2 or 3

2- curse of the coupe, coupe is P.O.ed your not working on it

3- your dad builds and races them Chevy motors... just saying, it's hard to get the Chevy cuties off your hands!!!
Yeah, you're right! The coupe is mad because the Mach 1 is hogging up all our garage time! LOL

I do have a clear filter and the gas looks clean, no debris.

what plug wires are you using?

when you pull the spark plugs are they carbon fouled?

are the fuel bowls full even when the car misses?

what plug wires are you using?

when you pull the spark plugs are they carbon fouled?

are the fuel bowls full even when the car misses?
I think they are Ford Racing Stranded 8mm wires. plugs look good, we cleaned any carbon off that was on them and the fuel seems to be in the bowls at all times. We added see thru plugs to the carb.

How bout any loose or missing screws/ tiny c clip(s) in the dizzy? Fire it up in the dark and see if you can see any blue arcs from a damaged dizzy cap or wires. Or, you can run your hand on the cap and wires and see if you get a little shock therapy :D

How bout any loose or missing screws/ tiny c clip(s) in the dizzy? Fire it up in the dark and see if you can see any blue arcs from a damaged dizzy cap or wires. Or, you can run your hand on the cap and wires and see if you get a little shock therapy :D
Yep, we did all that and nothing. Everything looks tight.

Time to pull out the vacuum gauge and timing light again. Check initial and total. See what the vacuum gauge is saying. There are the wires going to the tranny that may be shorting when you put it in gear. Check your voltage to the dizzy when you put in gear and see if it drops, but like the vacuum modulator, it's a stretch

Yep, we did all that and nothing. Everything looks tight.
Aiight, no more mess'n around! It's time you spent the 15min installing the new carb ;) I have no more thoughts on this one, so good luck rocket!

Ditch the 8MM ford racing wires and just get regular ignition wires Carbon Filament.

I found these aftermarket wires cause all kinds of problems.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the car ran great...then one day it just started missing like this. We fiddled with it some a few months ago and it seemed to literally clear up on a short trip to a local show but then it started missing again on the way home and we haven't been able to get it to stop since. Almost seems like someone threw a switch to turn the miss on and off!! That is why we focused on the electrical system but now it is looking more and more like fuel or carb problem.

The new carb will be tested this weekend!

Ditch the 8MM ford racing wires and just get regular ignition wires Carbon Filament.

I found these aftermarket wires cause all kinds of problems.
X 2 ! On certain hei distributors use of solid core wires will cause problems. I know for fact on the unilite dizzy it specifically states NOT to use solid core wires. On the pantera I repaired that was one of the problems. B.. I just looked at the msd instructions guess what it says (copy & paste)

SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES

Spark plug wires are very important to the operation of your ignition system. A good quality, helically wound wire and proper routing are required to get the best performance from your ignition, such as the MSD Heli-Core or 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire.

Note: Solid Core spark plug wires cannot be used with an MSD Ignition.

BINGO as I said same problem with the pantera I bet you screwed up the module because that's what running the wrong wires with these systems does. It happens over the course of time not immediately.

Buy yourself a new module & a new set of Taylor 8mm RESISTOR CORE wires

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously, stay away from the Spiral Core wires also i don't care what the manufacture says about there own in house spiral core brand they are all garbage.

i spent a year losing my mind trying brand after brand of the same problems, ARUGH!

Please try the other carb as Markmel suggested. It is zero cost, quickly done, and will narrow things down based on actual results. Just a suggestion. Chuck

Please try the other carb as Markmel suggested. It is zero cost, quickly done, and will narrow things down based on actual results. Just a suggestion. Chuck
+2 And add a fuel psi gauge if you don't already have one. 4 - 5.5 psi is a good range. This will help you diagnose other proplems like bad fuel pump and fuel delivery from the fuel gauge back. Process of elimination and I'm curious to know what the problem is.

I guess it's worth a try? IMHO your wasting your time with the Carb, because that still doesn't address the fact your running the wrong wires (copper stranded=solid core) as per the m.s.d. instructions. I would be very surprised if you didn't damage the module. And just because it's new doesn't mean it's ok I've seen brand new modules be no good right out of the box or damaged in a split second by faulty wiring. There's an old saying & it's worked for me 95% of the time"when you think it's the carb giving you a problem always look to the ignition first"

I must have my info wrong...we got new wires that match the spec from the MSD box. I can't remember what they are but i know the old wires were solid core. We took them off when we got the MSD.

I must have my info wrong...we got new wires that match the spec from the MSD box. I can't remember what they are but i know the old wires were solid core. We took them off when we got the MSD.
Well..just double check because even though msd specs their 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire it's a copper core which =solid core..I went though this whole fiasco with the pantera Those were the same wires installed on it which fried the module..I called mallory to confirm these wires were solid core. You can try the carb but I would install a set of known good carbon resister wires as 72h has said anything else is qustionable ..He's right on the money with his post !

Well..just double check because even though msd specs their 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire it's a copper core which =solid core..I went though this whole fiasco with the pantera Those were the same wires installed on it which fried the module..I called mallory to confirm these wires were solid core. You can try the carb but I would install a set of known good carbon resister wires as 72h has said anything else is qustionable ..He's right on the money with his post !
Just checked and here is what we bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-74061/

To go with this MSD box:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5520/

They were not Ford Racing although that is what we have for the coupe project!

Well, what carb are you using?

I had pretty much the same problem on my Ede 1406 after I cleaned it, reason was that I accidentally interchanges the primary jet with the secondary one.

Now all OK again

Just checked and here is what we bought:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-74061/

To go with this MSD box:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5520/

They were not Ford Racing although that is what we have for the coupe project!
B..just looked up those wires in my catalog (from the description)"the highly conductive STAINLESS STEEL spiro wound core" =Solid core wires B ! No good.. Get the taylor pro in RESISTER core..I installed those in the pantera & the Camaro

& here's the copy & paste from the msd instructions

Note: Solid Core spark plug wires cannot be used with the Street Fire Ignition.

As I said and as 72h said GET the correct wires !!!!! ..New module.. hopefully you didn't damage the street fire..then go from there.

Using the wrong wires with these electronic ignition systems is one of the most common mistakes people make when upgrading from points to electronic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back