I'm officially in the geezer club tomarrow. and i got a new"old car"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a shabby deal at all Mike. What is that other car behind yours? Looks like a 51 or so Ford/Mercury but I can't tell. I'll have to drop by and look at your new acquisition.

-john
Sure thing John...You can check out my poor old mach 1 too:)..i think its a 50 or 51 ford...It is one of my dads old fords..My dad in the picture too with the gray beard..I took him down to check it out too.

Awesome. That thing will be cool as hell super stocker with a tuff V8 in it and a big old mopar bonnet scoop. 40 hey I guess that means you are a responsible person now ;) just like me :)
Yup..that is what they had planned for it..But you know how plans go...It has a clean little slant six in it though...i mite just run it around how it is for a while...tease some dodge fans...maybe sell it just to dump the money in my stang..maybe not..i dont know yet..hehe
I would sell the mopar, lol.

I like the 50 I have 4 of them 3, 2 door sedans and a business coupe. Show your dad the pictures inside the one with 16,000 original miles that I have. One of those barn finds. That is the original interior not redone the steering wheel is like brand new.

David

Well although it appears you were 40 nearly a year ago....well still happy birthday. I laugh because 40 is a number I remember very well I have a 17 year old to remind me. I was free as a bird money in my pocket a great motorcycle and traveling everywhere.

so the the Darts... I remember well my brother having a 66 GT small block v8. the older brother was ahead of us in his 66 Stang. A camaro jumped on him on The ShhhTANG a long stretch between Bowling Green and Franklin (perfect drag racing road) That old 66 Squatted down and off they went.We were doing 105 could not catch either one of them. The design I just cant wrap my head around as to how to make it look cool....but power..oh great options for power.

Well tomarrow is my big 40th birthday:)
Congrats!

so now im stuck dragging this one home
I'm insanely envious. I LOVE that little Dart - I'd make it a daily driver any day of the week.

-Kurt
That is just about the same thing i told them before i even made a offer..lol...But i held back a little excitment so i didn't get took to the cleaners ;)
You know what's funny? It's been a few months shy of a year since this little discussion, and I now own a slant-six Valiant. What's more, there's a local fellow who has toyed with offering me a white, 1965 two-door pillared Dart. From his description (I've never seen it), it's an absolutely identical car to yours.

-Kurt

Congrats!

I'm insanely envious. I LOVE that little Dart - I'd make it a daily driver any day of the week.

-Kurt
That is just about the same thing i told them before i even made a offer..lol...But i held back a little excitment so i didn't get took to the cleaners ;)
You know what's funny? It's been a few months shy of a year since this little discussion, and I now own a slant-six Valiant. What's more, there's a local fellow who has toyed with offering me a white, 1965 two-door pillared Dart. From his description (I've never seen it), it's an absolutely identical car to yours.

-Kurt
Lmao!! It mite be!! i ended up walking away from it...They told me it just needed new tires and such, but when i got it driving down the road...it started too wiggle all over hell..something was major bent in the front end, i was not looking for that big of a project " i still got my mach 1 to finish" i was hoping to make it a back up ride...that did not happen..i dont got time to rebuild the front end and who knows what else on it...sooo if it wiggles badly down the road at 10 mph...it could be the same car!! lol

Lmao!! It mite be!! i ended up walking away from it...They told me it just needed new tires and such, but when i got it driving down the road...it started too wiggle all over hell..something was major bent in the front end, i was not looking for that big of a project " i still got my mach 1 to finish" i was hoping to make it a back up ride...that did not happen..i dont got time to rebuild the front end and who knows what else on it...sooo if it wiggles badly down the road at 10 mph...it could be the same car!! lol
Definitely not the same car - this one has been down here long before your post in 2014.

You shouldn't have walked away. The wiggle was almost definitely from the combination of factory alignment settings (a whopping 5 degrees positive camber for bias-ply tires, and hardly any caster) combined with radials. The result is a skittish front end that goes anywhere.

The worst problem to all of this is that almost every single commercial laser alignment rack available today comes with the original bias-ply settings, thus ensuring most all of these cars will have their front ends adjusted wrong.

The solution is to adjust for the settings below and install offset UCA bushings - offset inwards on the front, and outwards on the rear, thus making the upper control arm longer in front, and shorter in the back.

This chart shows the ideal radial adjustments and also the offset bushings:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969966173&postcount=11

My '69 would go everywhere over the road before I put the offset control arm bushings in it and nagged the hell out of the shop to do it based on that skosh chart. It's now my best garage sale machine. Ever.

33ushzq.jpg

-Kurt

Definitely not the same car - this one has been down here long before your post in 2014.

You shouldn't have walked away. The wiggle was almost definitely from the combination of factory alignment settings (a whopping 5 degrees positive camber for bias-ply tires, and hardly any caster) combined with radials. The result is a skittish front end that goes anywhere.

The worst problem to all of this is that almost every single commercial laser alignment rack available today comes with the original bias-ply settings, thus ensuring most all of these cars will have their front ends adjusted wrong.

The solution is to adjust for the settings below and install offset UCA bushings - offset inwards on the front, and outwards on the rear, thus making the upper control arm longer in front, and shorter in the back.

This chart shows the ideal radial adjustments and also the offset bushings:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969966173&postcount=11

My '69 would go everywhere over the road before I put the offset control arm bushings in it and nagged the hell out of the shop to do it based on that skosh chart. It's now my best garage sale machine. Ever.

33ushzq.jpg

-Kurt
It was more than just wiggling!!..i was being nice ;) the car wanted to leave the road at 15 mph..lol..If you had a cup of coffee in your hands,, the coffee would be in your lap at 15 mph..hehe .when i removed the hubcaps, i could see it was leaking grease out of the front end,,,soooo it needed whole new front end bearings and such..That year of dodge had really light front end anyways..it was shaking so bad i felt like the tire was going to come off before i got it home..lol...annnnd maybe a engine too...it had a small knock in the bottom end when you started her..So it mite of needed new bearings there too.. but if i drag another carcass home, my family will disown me for not putting that work into my Mach 1..lol

Good ole cars thou..and that looks like a really clean one you got!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was more than just wiggling!!..i was being nice ;) the car wanted to leave the road at 15 mph..lol..If you had a cup of coffee in your hands,, the coffee would be in your lap at 15 mph..hehe .when i removed the hubcaps, i could see it was leaking grease out of the front end,,,soooo it needed whole new front end bearings and such..That year of dodge had really light front end anyways..it was shaking so bad i felt like the tire was going to come off before i got it home..lol...annnnd maybe a engine too...it had a small knock in the bottom end when you started her..So it mite of needed new bearings there too.. but if i drag another carcass home, my family will disown me for not putting that work into my Mach 1..lol

Good ole cars thou..and that looks like a really clean one you got!!
That sounds about right. Nothing that a quick front end job wouldn't have fixed. Honestly, the most expensive part of it all are those bushings; Rock Auto has way too much overstock of the 9" Mopar drum parts - they're practically giving it all away.

A knock in a slant six? Who would have known. Excuse to swap to a Magnum 5.2 ;)

Thanks for the compliment - my little bugger just turned 22k original miles last month!

-Kurt

That sounds about right. Nothing that a quick front end job wouldn't have fixed. Honestly, the most expensive part of it all are those bushings; Rock Auto has way too much overstock of the 9" Mopar drum parts - they're practically giving it all away.

A knock in a slant six? Who would have known. Excuse to swap to a Magnum 5.2 ;)

Thanks for the compliment - my little bugger just turned 22k original miles last month!

-Kurt

Ya i know..not much to the front end..But everything else was telling me this car i was looking at, could turn into a fast money pit. " guess they all can" But too many things leaping out at me saying, it on the last leg!! lol

I tell you what...We went everywere my buds old val, his had a 318 stock as a rock, take off quick and burn tires but it would lose it on the top end,, We could never get it past 100..lol..But up too that point it was pretty peppy.. We beat that poor car all over the mountain side, think only thing that ever let us down was the classic Dodge starter..Had to replace it.. But that little 318 ended up going waaaay over 250,000 before he sold it..Fond memories of that car...It even got us threw some pretty nasty snow storms..lol

I occassionally git a hank'rn for a Dart 69-71. A friend had one in high school had one. A 340 4sd car! He rarely drive it always wanted to ride with me.... but with the big block in the 56 I can understand why....really he was saving his car. He bought it in the 10th grade (aka his grandma bought it)

Back